ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 15 - ʜʏᴀɴɴɪꜱ ᴘᴏʀᴛ, ᴍᴀ

The news of my engagement to the President of the United States spread like wildfire in a forest, mainly due to the fact that my face along with Jack's, was plastered on the front page of every American newspaper. Jack's Press Secretary had done a wonderful job but I couldn't help but feel uneasy and deflated, my engagement to Jack, it was something to celebrate, something to look forward to, but here I was, being made into a vessel, a tool to campaign for a second term. I was happy but I was disheartened too. I couldn't blame Jack, I couldn't blame anyone, maybe this was the deal I had to sign if I wanted to marry John Kennedy, maybe Jacqueline signed this deal too, the deal where you had to trot around your husband, smile for them in cameras, collect flowers, attend luncheons and be a perfect wife.

I was so engrossed in my thoughts, I missed to hear the sound of my bedroom door creak open and Jack walk in, smoking his cigar. He walked up to me from behind me as I stood there, holding the newspaper in my hand. His hands slowly creeped around me from my back, making me jump forward in fear. "Jesus Christ Jack, you almost gave me a heart attack."

Jack smiled wide and his chin came to rest on my shoulder from behind as he looked at our picture. It had just been clicked yesterday. The minute we stepped back into the White House after our short rendezvous in the Honey Fitz, I was taken into my room and made to change into a plush pink tunic designed by Oleg Cassini, my hair pulled up neatly into a flipped bob, much against my wishes as I preferred to let my hair loose and messy, a beret placed on my head. The photograph was clicked in the Red room of the White House, I was made to sit on a chair and Jack stood behind me, his hand fixed on my shoulder while my ring studded hand lay on my knee. It all felt artificial. Another thing which bothered me was the fact that my wedding date had already been fixed and announced in the newspapers, I wasn't even asked about it. I was to be married to Jack on the day of his birthday, 29 days from now, not even a month.

"Are you alright?" Jack's concerned voice pulled my gaze back to him from the newspaper. I sighed and slowly tossed the newspaper on to my bed and sat down by the edge of it while Jack's hands flew to his hips as he stood in front of me. I nodded my head and looked up at him, giving him a tiny smile.

"I'm fine, Jack, just, this feels surreal, trying to adjust to it." I whispered, my voice low.

Jack smiled and sat down next to me. Within the next two minutes, he had my hand in his, his thumb drawing circles over my skin as he spoke, "I know this must be a downer for you. But you will adjust to this lifestyle soon, I promise, and things will be better."

"Jack, I - I don't want to be compared with Jackie. Oh, look at the way she is dressed, this isn't how Jackie Kennedy dressed, oh look at the way she speaks, I wish she spoke like Jackie Kennedy. I think I will fail, Jack and I will not be able to meet the expectations that you will have of me. Worst of all, Jack, I don't want to take Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy's place because that place is sacred." I stopped talking when John Kennedy's index finger pressed to my lips, shushing me. "Joanna, Jackie would want this family to be complete.  She would want me to move on, she would want our children to have a mother again. I know, people might compare you to Jackie but you, you need to show them that you stand out in your own way, that you are not Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy but you are Joanna Freya Kennedy."

"Did you just call me a Kennedy already Jack?" I chuckled, wiping a tear off my face.

"Well, atleast my calling you a Kennedy made you laugh. Besides, it won't be long you will be a Kennedy. Oh, this reminds me,  you need to pack your bags and keep suitable outfits for three days. Someone will help you with that." Jack informed.