2. The First Suspect

Crime Branch, Mumbai

"Sir, a car blast took place at 3 o'clock this morning. CCTV footage has revealed that the car was driven by the famous cricketer, Sanjeev Arora. We have to investigate the case," Senior Inspector Apoorva Mishra told her senior, ACP Abhijeet. "The forensic team has already examined the area and they have brought the car and the remains of the dead body," Inspector Salim added further.

"Let's go," the ACP declared.

****************************************

Hotel

The CBI team reached and the investigation was started. "You go over there, stop wandering around and start searching for the clues," Abhijeet was giving instructions to his team, "Search everywhere and inform me if you find something suspicious." He called the cricket team members in a room and started the interrogation.

"Okay, so how was the behaviour of Sanjeev?" he asked with a notepad and pen in his hand. "Sir, our captain was the most perfect man you will ever see. He was a mentor to us. He was affable and amiable," answered the junior members in a concerted manner.

"Sir, we haven't found a single clue from room 504", a constable came and informed. Abhijeet ordered them to search meticulously.

"Did you notice anything unusual?" Abhijeet queried. "Yes," exclaimed the coach, "After qualifying for the semifinal, we had celebrated together. At that time, Sanjeev looked tensed."

****************************************

At the party
"Ahem... Ahem, team listen, we have qualified for the semi-finals but that does not mean that we can let ourselves loose. We have to win the next two games, no matter what it takes. Alright!" the coach said.

"Aye aye captain", everybody said in unison. A funky music started playing. "Everybody join me on the dance floor," an over enthusiastic Aviral screamed. Everyone joined him and started dancing wildly. Their tiredness did not stop them from enjoying their success.

Sanjeev was sitting far away from the team, passing smiles at his team members. Rajveer sat next to him and asked, "How come the team's captain is not enjoying with his team? All good, Sanjeev?" Sanjeev smiled and spoke, "Everything is fine, sir. Just a headache."

****************************************

Present Scene

Abhijeet was clicking his pen again and again and was frustrated as he didn't get any relevant information. Suddenly Rakesh Khurana, the team's fast bowler, blurted, "Sir, our captain and vice captain were not on talking terms since a month or so. They avoided interacting with each other. In fact, they were together only on the field."

A sound of heavy footsteps interrupted the conversation. Inspector Salim entered breathing heavily. "Sir...sir we found a watch, that belongs to Sanjeev, in Aviral's bag. Sanjeev's name is written on the strap," he said holding the evidence in a ziplock bag. Everyone was surprised and Abhijeet smirked, "Aviral, come with me. I need to talk to you in private."

"Explain," Abhijeet said authoritatively. They were now in Aviral's room, where the officers were searching for more evidences. "Sir, it's not like that. I did not meet Sanjeev after yesterday's game. I am really mortified by the death of Sanjeev that's why I couldn't utter a single word," Aviral's voice was clearly shaking.

"Okay, so do you know anything about Sanjeev or if anything happened at the party so that we can find a lead?" asked Abhijeet while staring into Aviral's eyes. Aviral mustered up his courage and shook his head.

"After dancing for a while I wanted some water. That is when I noticed that Sanjeev was sitting in a corner. He was neither drinking his soft drink nor dancing and his facial expressions were a little tensed. That was unusual because Sanjeev was someone who always celebrated success. Even on the field, he would applaud himself for hitting a good shot."

Abhijeet asked further, "What was the reason for the feud between you and Sanjeev?" "I am sorry but that's a personal matter. I don't wish to talk about it. Sorry." Abhijeet glowered at Aviral.

"Sir, a lady is here and wants to meet you urgently. According to her, she knows the murderer. She is with the players," a constable announced. With a frown on their faces, Abhijeet and Aviral walked back with the constable. As they entered the room, Aviral mumbled, "Samaira."

The lady, Samaira Roy, walked towards Abhijeet and pointed her finger at Aviral. "He killed Sanjeev," she declared.

Hope you all enjoy it.....do vote, comment and share