~chapter 7~

"Where are we going?" I demand as Edmond hurriedly pulls me through the school hallway. It's flooded with stupidly cheerful and vibrant students, making it difficult for me to even breathe properly.

"We're going to find Everest," he says nonchalantly. A ghost shoots up my spine at the sound of his name, making me stop dead in my tracks, much to Edmond's annoyance.

"What? Why? Did you not hear me when I said that he's the reason I'm in this mess?" I ask hysterically. Edmond turns back to me with a blank-slate expression on his face.

"I know. That's why we're going to see him," he says calmly. I knew he was stupid, but I didn't think he was clinically insane. I furiously pull my hand away from him and back away in shock. Does he want me to go to hell?

"I should've known not to ask you for help. Just leave me alone. I'll sort this ou --"

"There you go, again." he interrupts. His eyes soften as he stares at me with a disappointed expression on his face.

"What?" I ask bitterly. 

"You're running from your problems. Again. That's what you've always done. Ever since we were little. And that's probably what you've been doing for the past year. Am I right?" he says.

I scoff at what he's saying, despite being well aware that it's true. I've never understood the concept of allowing your emotions to place you in a problematic situation. I've always been more inclined to deal with it internally rather than externally. After all, it's an emotional issue, not a physical issue. 

"I don't know what you're talking about," I say under my breath.

"Like hell, you don't. Remember that time you stopped going to math for a full semester because you didn't want to sit next to your ex-best friend? Remember that time Mom found out that you were getting bullied for 5 years straight and you never told anyone? Remember that time you mourned alone at home instead of attending our own Dad's funeral? I could go on if I need to." he says emotionlessly.

I feel my face glow red at his vast amount of evidence. Perhaps I do tend to shy away from my problems from time to time. But that's normal, right? Who wants to face their issues head-on? I hear Edmond sigh over the loud banter of the hallway.

"I'm really trying to help you out here, Mavis. But no one can help you if you don't decide to help yourself."

His words resonate within me as my brain goes numb and a flurry of emotions pulsates across my chest. I think a part of me realizes that he's right, no matter how much I hate to admit it. I can't keep hiding from my problems anymore. A blazing fire enkindles within me as I can feel a surge of determination rush through my bloodstream.

However, just as I work up the courage to face Everest, I see the devil himself exiting the boys' bathroom. And no - not the actual devil.

Everest.

And just like that - my fire's extinguished.