Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

We all pile into cars so we can drive to the beach house. To say I was excited would be an understatement. I was bouncing off the walls with excitement. I love going to the beach and letting loose for a weekend. This is something I really need right now. I remember going to the beach with Isaac and my parents when we were kids. I even made sure Josh got the ingredients for s'mores when he went shopping for this trip. I was very disappointed when he asked what those ingredients were. I hope he was joking.

I was in a car with Toddy and Josh, and one other guy I didn't even know the name of. We're all having a lot of fun though. We sang songs and they told me funny stories about their past trips to the beach house. The time Seth caught himself on fire or when Coby tried to catch a wild rabbit and then fell in the mud. It was weird when they talked about Coby when he was younger. They all say he had so much energy and was full of life. I wish I could have met him.

It was a three hour drive to get to the beach house. Not that I minded it. The drive went pretty fast with everyone talking. When we got there I was bubbly inside. The beach house was an adobe house, it was big but not as big as the house we live in. Definitely at least ten bedrooms. It looked modest for a mansion. Maybe Im just used to the main house though. It sat about 100 feet away from the water.

We were the last car to arrive due to extensive bathroom trips between Toddy and I. We walked into the house to laughter and people running around. I often think about how people usually see gang members. Big and muscly, covered in tattoos. It is true they are all that, but they are also people. They joke around and laugh. They treat each other like family. I was told that my room was on the third floor first door on the right. I walked up the stairs and found my room. There was only one other room on this floor and it was down the hall but on the same side as mine. I walked in my room and smiled. The walls were painted a light yellow and the sheets were white. I gave off a very beachy vibe, and made me feel very content. I placed my bag down and walked to the door that led to the bathroom. I walked in to see that it also connected to the other room. I locked the door to my side and then to the other. I fixed my hair and did my business. I unlocked both the doors and then headed back downstairs. A few of the boys were already outside playing in the water. I noticed that Coby was with them. I got myself a tea out of the fridge and then went back upstairs to change into my bathing suit.

When I walked outside onto the patio I made eye contact with Coby. I felt self conscious of my red bikini and without thinking I put my arms in front of my stomach. He noticed of course, his eyes softened and his smile faded a little. He turned away back to the football they were playing in the water. Seth was starting a fire in the pit since the sun was already setting. I made my way to the water and dipped my feet in. It was colder than I expected. I jumped back and then slowly walked in again.

"Too cold for you?" Coby laughed. Oh so we're talking again. I hadn't even noticed him watching me try to get into the water. I didn't respond to him but I splashed water with my hands onto his face. It took him off guard and he frowned.

"Don't be sad Be glad" I said in a childish voice. He looked at me dead on the eyes and then started charging towards me. The last thing I thought was oh no before he threw me over his shoulder. His skin was soft and I couldn't help but notice his hands on my thighs as he carried me. He ran us out to the ocean and then I was thrown into the water. The coldness made my breath escape my lungs. I resurfaced to Coby running away from me. Imagine a gang leader running away from you. I smiled to myself and then ended up playing football with the boys.

We spent an hour in the water watching the sun set. It was amazing to escape from the world and breathe. Everyone was sitting around the fire, making s'mores. Thank you Josh. I bit into my third s'more of the night. The glow of the fire shone on all our faces. The night air smells fresh and clean. I sat on a bench next to Coby. Not out of choice of course, simply because there were no other seats when I sat down. Seth came out of the house holding three bottles in his hand. He passed out red solo cups to everyone. I gladly took one, and then he moved on to Coby. Coby shook his head no and refused the cup. Seth frowned but then filled everyone's cups with the alcohol. It reminded me of nights at the race tracks with my friends.

The night air was crisp as we watched the people race. I only signed up for one race earlier tonight. I got first place and now we were celebrating. I sat in Jake's lap as we were on the grass. A small circle we were part of we're all laughing and playfully hitting each other.

"Hey Angel, you're shivering" Jake whispers as he pulls off his sweatshirt. I gladly accept it and slide it on.

"I think it's funny that Jake is only soft when it comes to you Tal" Tony smiled at us. I looked up and saw Jake laughing. His perfect white teeth showing. These are the kind of nights I lived for.

I stared into the fire thinking about old times.

"What are you thinking about" someone whispered to me. I snapped out of my daze and looked up. Coby was looking at me with fascination.

"Nothing that is important anymore" I replied to him, taking a sip from my cup. It burned my throat but I could handle it.

"Just because it's not relevant doesnt mean it's not important," Coby said back at me. I snapped my head up at him making eye contact with him. His hair was messy from the water and danced on his forehead. The black of his hair stood out against his tanned skin. His blue eyes were like the splash of color to a black and white painting. I stared at him coldly for a second thinking about my response.

"Maybe I would be more inclined to talk to you, if you told me anything about yourself" I said aggressively. His eyes lingered but then looked down. He got up from the bench and then walked back into the house. I brushed off his rudeness and focused on the group. Although I did feel a little guilty, because he left. I chugged my cup and then asked for a refill. We spent the rest of the night dancing and telling stories. Everyone was drunk off their asses by the time midnight rolled around. I don't remember what else happened that night, but I know I had fun.