Chapter 7

The window repairman came the next day to fix the window that the creep had smashed in while I was at school. The day dragged by. I didn’t listen to any of my teachers’ lectures. I was only focused on the amazing sexy Jacob Rowley. I had forgotten he was in my English class. How could I be so naïve?  

    After class, I had planned to talk to him. I was so nervous, I couldn’t hold my pencil because my hands were sweating so much. The bell rang and everyone packed up their belongings. 

    I intercepted Jacob before he got to the door. “Um… hi,” I said shyly.

    “Hi,” he responded.

    “So, um, do you, uh, wanna hang out sometime? I mean,” I was stammering, “if you’re busy or whatever, that’s alright—“

    “No, I’m not busy. Of course I’d love to hang out with you.” He smiled that perfect smile, showing off his even, white teeth.

    My heart leaped. I was gonna have a hot guy at my house! I let out a little squeak of excitement, but stifled it with a quick look at Jacob.

    He laughed and tousled my hair. “I’ll see you later then?”

    “Yeah. See you.”

    As he walked away, I couldn’t help but jump around. My life was awesome! If I kept this up, he might even be my – I relished the word – boyfriend.

    Being in love has its advantages, I thought, smiling to myself.

    Jacob came over to my house, just as he’d promised. When he rang the doorbell, I shouted, “I’LL GET IT!” but Mom was already there. She opened the door and looked up. Her jaw dropped. She hadn’t expected a guy as tall as this – it was evident on her face.

    She turned to me. “Who’s this hottie?” she asked, winking at me.

    I groaned. “Mom, he’s just a friend. Jacob, this is my mom.”

    “Hi, Mrs. Benson.” He seemed a little nervous.

    “Why don’t you come in, Jacob? And call me Renee,” Mom said. 

    “Thanks, Renee.” 

He walked in, but he had to stoop because he was so tall. Mom was gushing. I rolled my eyes. Please don’t embarrass me, I prayed. Not in front of my future boyfriend.

“I’ll go fix you kids a snack while you all chit chat about whatever.” She hurried in the kitchen.

I sat on the couch and patted the spot next to me. He moved to the other side and sat next to me. He was so close I could feel heat emanating off of him. He is so perfect, I thought. 

“So,” he said after a while, “what do you want to talk about?”

Crap! I thought. I invite a super-hot guy to my house, and now I don’t know what to say to him? I am such a suck-up!

“Never mind, I’ll start,” he said, sensing my awkward silence. “I need to ask you something anyway.”

“Yeah, go ahead,” I said.

He hesitated. “Look, I know you really like me…”

I laughed. “Pshhh, whaaaat? Who… who told you that?”

“No one.” He had a dead serious expression. “I could tell when you asked me over to your house. You were all nervous and you kept staring at me, so I kinda figured…”

“Yes, it’s true. I do think you are hot.” I bowed my head ashamedly. 

“It’s okay, you don’t need to be embarrassed. You’re not the only one.”

I looked up. “Really?”

“Yeah.” He smiled. “All the girls in my grade are head over heels in love for me, but they don’t really suit my tastes. They’re all too prissy and girly. Some aren’t even that pretty, to be honest.” He gave a nervous laugh. “But it’s different with you. You are actually really pretty for your age.”  

I felt my face go hot. “Really?”

He nodded. “And if you don’t mind me saying, your body ain’t half bad either.”

“Um, thank you.”

He smiled again. “No problem.”