Chapter 9

I was in high spirits the rest of the week, because of Jacob. He was everything Lucas was, only a million times better. Hotter, nicer, more sensitive and caring… you get my drift.

We were at my house. Mom had to go out for some important errand and wouldn’t be back for a few hours. We chilled on my couch and listened to my Eminem CDs. He was my favorite rapper by far, better than all of that other garbage they call rap and hip-hop. It turns out Jacob liked his music so much, he went to go see him in concert last year in Florida. I was jealous of him but I’d rather hang out with him than Eminem anyway.

After the second CD was over, I got up to change it, but Jacob grabbed my wrist. “Leave it,” he whispered.

I sat back down, confused. What was he doing? He had this… look in his eyes, like he suddenly wanted to…

I understood at once and leaned forward. He did the same and our lips met. His kiss was gentle yet passionate, firm yet soft, and his lips tasted like cherries. He put his arms around my waist, and I cupped his face. He shifted so I was laying on top of him, and it got even more passionate. I ran my fingers down his chest, feeling the hard muscles beneath his shirt. It was amazing…

Until I felt him trying to undo my bra. I sat up and glared at him.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“Sorry.” He didn’t sound apologetic in the least.

I pushed myself off of him. “I didn’t know you were like that.”

“I'm not. I just wanted to take it off. No big deal.”

“No big deal? I didn’t want you to do that!” I felt agitated and confused. I wanted to jump right back on top of him, but not in the loving way anymore.

He sat up. “Are you really mad at me?”

I sighed. “No,” I replied. “But I don’t want to kiss you again right now.”

“Oh, okay.” He sounded disappointed but I didn’t care. I got up and sat in the chair next to the couch. Luckily, he didn’t make a move to get closer to me.

At that moment the phone rang. I jumped up and answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey!” It was Mom. “What’s up sweetheart?”

“Nothing much.”

“You and Jacob better be behaving yourselves,” she said with a little giggle.

“Mom! Stop it!”

“I'm sorry, honey. I'm just calling to let you know I’ll be home in an hour.”

“Okay, I love you.”

“Love you too, honey. Bye.”

I put the phone back on the rack and sat back down. Jacob turned on the TV, and we watched Wipeout for a few minutes. Then he broke the silence.

“Babe?”

I looked at him. “Yeah?”

“I’m sorry about the bra thing.” This time he looked genuinely sorry.

I sighed. “I forgive you. I wasn’t ever really mad.”

His eyebrows shot up. “Really?”

“Yeah. Believe it or not, I actually kind of liked it. But,” I added as he got a glint in his eyes, “I don’t want you to do it every time we make out, okay? Can you promise me that?”

He hesitated, then, “Okay, I promise.”

I got up and sat down on the couch, snuggling up next to him. He draped his long arm over me. I must have fallen asleep at one point, because when I woke up, he was gone. Mom walked in the living room. “Oh, good, you’re up,” she murmured.

I rubbed my eyes and stretched. “How long was I out?”

“Well, Jacob said you slept on his chest for about thirty minutes before I got back. Then I tucked you in there, and he went home.”

“Okay.”

She went back into the kitchen, and I went up to my room and sat at my desk. I opened my notebook and started to draw a picture. I didn’t realize what I’d drawn until I was finished. I held it up and studied it.

It was Jacob’s face.

I kissed it and held it to my chest. “I love you, Jacob Rowley,” I whispered.

It seemed to whisper back, “I love you too.”

“When you feel my heat, look into my eyes,

It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.”

    I was on the school bus, listening to “Demons” by Imagine Dragons on my iPod. It was my favorite song, a close second to my number one ever, “Cleanin’ Out My Closet” by Eminem. Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is an artist.

    When we arrived at school, I sat in the library and waited for Jacob. 7:30. He hadn’t arrived yet. I waited patiently, but he didn’t turn up.

 7:40. I was getting nervous. No sign of him. Where was he?

    I got up and went to see if he might be in the cafeteria. I craned my neck to see if I could find him. Ah! There he was! But who was that with him? I edged closer. I could make out long, curly red hair – it was another girl.

    Loren Mallory! What was Jacob doing with her? I edged even closer.

    Jacob… my Jacob… was holding hands with Loren Mallory!