1; not so simple

He awoke with a gasp. It took his eyes a moment to adjust but when they did he was taken aback. Above him was a normal roof, with actual walls surrounding him. Not an open sky and greenery he had gotten used to. He was on a comfortable bed; his bed. Not one in that awful place WCKED had kept him, and his friends, captive. His old personal items were spread all over the room. Desk chair pushed too far against the desk with one leg lifted off the ground from the odd angle. That's right, he was in his room. Not the maze. His quickened heart slowed to its normal pace when he remembered where he was. Home. That's where he was. His dad was downstairs in his own room, probably sleeping peacefully now that his son had returned home.

The word felt foreign on his tongue. He had been back for a week but still wasn't used to it all. The normality of being home. No Gladers pestering or joking around with each other on a daily basis. He missed Newt, Minho, Teresa, and most of all Chuck. After they escaped the maze and been rescued by Agent Booth, they had all been separated to find their own families and had no way of contacting each other. He would have to get ahold of that Agent soon and see if he knew anything about them.

As for the day, however. Today was the day he returned to Beacon Hills High School, knowing full well all eyes would be on him. He was the lost kid, returning after so long.

Sighing, he yanked his blanket up to cover his face, not ready to face the day. Peeking an eye out to see what time it was, he groaned when he read 2:00am.

He cursed under his breath but shut his eyes anyway, trying to force his brain back to sleep. After what seemed like an eternity he peeled one eye open and the clock read 2:02am.

He grabbed the pillow from under his head and smacked his face twice before shuffling out of his bed, out of the room, down the stairs, and into the kitchen. Grabbing a glass, he filled it with ice as quietly as he could manage then let the fridge fill it with water. He leaned against the edge of a counter, gulping the cold liquid down and letting it fill his belly. Oh how wonderful clean water tasted after being deprived of it in the Glade and not remembering what it had even tasted like. Finishing the glass, he rinsed it off and put it away before heading back up to his room.

Pulling his chair out, he plopped into it and turned his computer on, deciding to waste time since he knew he wouldn't be going back to sleep anytime soon.

Opening the internet, he went to Google and typed in the letters that would haunt him for a long while.

WCKED.

The search only brought up a couple links and they were all mostly about books having to do with witches and stuff. Aka a dead end. So he decided on a different route and typed Agent Seeley Booth, Washington DC.

Pictures of the man arresting people popped up, articles upon articles linked to each photo. A woman stood next to him in most pictures, smiling awkwardly or glaring at the man. There were even a few pictures of the couple at crime scenes. The search led him to an article about the woman Booth was with: Temperance Brennan. He read all about her book and what she was capable of, in awe of how she was able to do such things with just bones. He found a fan page and read a few blogs people had written out, some sweet and some borderline crazy. She had extreme fans, that was for sure.

His alarm started going off, scaring Thomas so bad he almost fell out of his chair. Time had really gotten away from him, he realized as he looked at the time and realized it was almost time for school now.

With a huff, he turned his computer off, feeling dread for the day to come. His search hadn't helped him on finding anything about WCKED but he had learned a bit more about this Agent Booth that had rescued them. The man seemed like a good guy, and he really hoped that was true.