part 1

It was a chilly night.
The two lovers were sheltering in a cave they called home. Melchior stirred in his sleep. His lover crept closer to share his warmth, he did not want to awaken the fire dragon. He was already weak and frail in colder weather, and he was the only dragon he knew to not be nocturnal. If he wanted him to get through the colder months, he should let him get all the rest he needs.
He decided to get some food for them both since it was still dark and prey is easier to find.
He licked the cheek of his lover affectionaly, before he got up and spread his wings. He decided to just fly to the nearby river and catch some fish. It would take less time and he loved looking at the sleeping face of his lover.

In the meantime the fire dragon started stir again, he was missing the extra warmth that was given to him. He slowly opened his eyes with a groan, he was not ready to know he woke up so early. It was still really dark outside, and the only noise that could be heard was from a waterfall in the distance. As he was still looking outside he saw a big shadow approaching, he decided to just close his eyes and hoped he got the message through. He heard a muffled giggle, he had succeeded. He heard something being put down in the corner of the cave, opposite of the place he was still laying. He didn't hear anything for a second and actually jumped when something slumped on the ground, wrapping tightly around him. He loved the warmth it gave him and he actually was a bit embarrassed so he was heating up quite a bit. He was starting to fall back asleep, a nice deep sleep he only got with the help of his lover. Before he was out in the dreamworld he feld something touch his forehead. He knew what it was, but could not react to it, as he was gone from the real world..

Kenku found it adorable how Melchior reacted everytime he came in contact with him, even for such a brief moment could the fire dragon heat up. He layed his head on the shoulder of his sleeping companion, trying to rest, but for him it never came. He didn't need sleep, he only did it if he was bored or when his lover acts like this. But it was really hard to sleep for him, just because he didn't need it.
On times like these he liked the weather..
Just because he had an excuse to cuddle up with his lover, who would always complain abaut it being "too cold".
He had no problems with the weather being so cold, he is a forest dragon. Forest dragons love autumn, it's the time of the year to get closer to your loved ones and keep them save and ready for the winter.
The only thing that Kenku missed in his perfect live, was kids..
He wanted them so badly, but he knew he needed to discuss this with his partner.

It was normal to adopt some kids at the adoption, not everyone was lucky to have kids. And not all kids are lucky to have loving parents. He made it clear to himself that he would ask his lover the next morning, whenever he got the chance..
He looked at the side, through the cave entrance. It was a truly beautifull night. The stars shined brigtly and the moon was full. Clouds slowly carried by the wind made it look magical. He found it truly saddening that his lover could never see this beautifull sight for himself.

He then looked back at the one beside him, he was weaker then usual, wich means he has to go recharge his magic essence in the volcano soon. Recharging magic is not something a healing spell can overcome, As he has tried multiple times.
While he was deep in his thoughts, Melchior began to stir under him. Sunstreaks lid up his face as he let out a muffled groan, he hated waking up. The other dragon must've heard him as the weight on his shoulders was gone. He was greeted with a "goodmorning dear!" from the other. He himself curled up more so he could hide his face from the lights, "it's too early..." he muffled out. "ahww, dont be like that sweety.. The sun has already gone over the tops of the trees and the other dragons are also spreading their wings". The forestdragon nudged the other in his side, "come on, it will do you good.." he heard a sight escape the others mouth, he had succeeded in convincing him. He couldn't stop himself from smiling at the tired face of his lover. Before he helpt his partner stand up, he got the fishes he caught last night and layed them down infront of him so they could eat together first. When they were done Kenku got up and supported his lover so he could stand up, he was a total potatosack when he had just woken up, that's why he needed to help him get up.

As the dragon slowly stood up with the shoulder of his dear to lean on, he let out a big yawn. He was not ready, but that was everyday the same. The only reason he gets up is because his lover helps him get on with his live, otherwise he would've given up a long time ago..
He was very weak for a firedragon. All firedragons are powerful and mighty. And yet he was such a weakling.. He hated his frail body, it made him doubt his abilities even more. He sometimes even asks himself why someone as great as Kenku would love him...

The other must've noticed him having self-doubts, because he heard him say: "are you ok?". he looked at his side, seeing the worried face of his partner. "o-oh, y-yeah I'm fine" he said, "I just zoned out a little..". He knew that the other didn't believe him, he could tell by the worried glance the other had, but he didn't ask any other questions. probably because he knew he wasn't getting the good answers.
They started walking to the river, without saying anything to eachother. It was such an awkward silence, but they didn't bother to break it.

They sat down under a tree next to the river. There were alot of families by the river. Kids played, mothers talked and fathers kept a lookout for their loved ones. Kenku kept staring at the kids, he wished they had a few of their own. Some children jumped in the river. He wanted to do the same, but didn't want to leave Melchior behind. Melchior hated water, which is pretty normal for a firedragon. But nonetheless he kept wishing it would happen once. A sigh escaped his lips as he kept thinking about it never being possible.

He looked beside him, Melchior seemed just as distracted as he was. Guess he was in a bad mood today.. Melchior suddenly looked straight at him, he had been caught staring at him! He turned his head away in embarrassment. Melchior started giggling, he tried to hide it but failed miserably.. "What a way to lighten up the mood.."  Kenku thought.

(Word count: 1242)