Chapter Twenty-Three: Goodbye, Professor Lupin.

They'd been making their way towards the Hospital wing when voices stopped them.

"...only hope Dumbledore's not going to make difficulties– The Kiss will be performed immediately?"

"As soon as Macnair returns with the dementors. This whole Black affair has been highly embarrassing. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to informing the Daily Prophet that we've got him at last... I daresay they'll want to interview you, Snape... and once young Harry's back in his right mind, I expect he'll want to tell the Prophet exactly how you saved him..."

Harry and Mel shared a furious glare, sure enough, Snape was elated with all the compliments.

"I'm sorry Minister, but you'll be waiting for that moment the rest of your life. Let's keep going."

They continued their escape until Harry seized her wrist again and pulled her back.

"Peeves!– In here!"

He pushed both girls into a classroom to their left. Peeves bounced away, laughing loudly, almost maniacally.

"Oh, he's horrible– I bet he's all excited because the dementors are going to finish off Sirius... Three minutes!" They hurried out of the room.

"Hermione — what'll happen — if we don't get back inside — before Dumbledore locks the door?" Harry panted.

"I don't want to think about it!" She looked down at her watch. "One minute!"

"That isn't helping!" Mel groaned.

They reached the corridor where the hospital wing was.

 "Okay — I can hear Dumbledore," said Hermione. "Come on!" 

"I am going to lock you in," Dumbledore was saying when they approached. "It is five minutes to midnight. Miss Granger, three turns should do it. Good luck."

They ran forward while Dumbledore stepped out of the room. He looked up and smiled. 

"Well?" 

"We did it!" said Harry. "Sirius has gone, on Buckbeak..."

Dumbledore beamed.

"Well done. I think —" He leaned his head towards the door and listened. "Yes, I think you've gone too — get inside — I'll lock you in —"

Harry, Mel, and Hermione slipped back in. Ron was still lying unconscious in his bed. They returned to their own beds, Hermione hiding the Time-Turner back under her robes.

"I'm about to have the longest nap of my life," Mel sighed, the adrenaline that had kept her active quickly wearing off, heart thumping harshly against her chest because of all the effort.

Madam Pomfrey came back out of her office.

"Did I hear the headmaster leaving? Am I allowed to look after my patients now?" 

"Madam Pomfrey, I think my bandages moved while I was sleeping, could you pleased take a look?" She asked in the most innocent voice she could do.

After Pomfrey had changed her bandages 'You must toss a lot while you sleep, your bandages were all over the place!'  they sat in silence. Harry and Hermione eating their chocolate while Mel started to slowly drift back to sleep, after all, she'd had a hard day twice.

A loud, furious roar made her come back to her senses, knowing what was about to happen.

"What was that?" Madam Pomfrey inquired alarmed. "Really — they'll wake everybody up! What do they think they're doing?"