Chapter 12

"Assholes...", he sighed, shaking his head, but a small smirk crept upon his face as he looked at his silly friends. They were enjoying themselves as they patted Fabien's back with him brushing it off. He cringed inside as he wondered why he didn't see it coming.

"Come on. It was a joke. We do this every year, remember?", Théo said, wiping his tears from his friend's expression. Fabien just shook his head and got into the car. It was Max's car which he got for his last birthday from his Dad.

"Yeah, in many different circumstances. Last year you paid a random guy to do it..", Fabien said, remembering the things they did last year. But he must confess, it was still funny to him and they all laughed it off in the end. It wasn't like that Fabien started it... But the main idea was his. Max made an irritated expression as he sat in the driver’s seat beside Fabien.

"You forced me to walk with a chicken costume on MY birthday just because I lost a bet.", he said, making a bitter face. Fabien couldn't hide his chuckle.

"That's because you were so sure to beat me in League Of Legends that I wanted to knock you down from your high horse.", he said, smirking at him. The others joined in and Max just shook his head in frustration. The school still didn't forget about it but it luckily wasn't a big deal anymore. At least the nicknames stopped.

"Anyways, so you turned 16 right now... Are you planning anything for your birthday, my prince?", Théo, the chubby one, asked with a big grin on his face. Fabien glanced at him for a short moment before returning his gaze to the road.

"You know, you hanging from the basketball court with your underwear curled into the net, would be the best thing in my life.", he answered smirking.

"Yeah, I would love to see that too. Even though I would be blinded for six months.", Max said, still looking at the road. He was shuddering slightly by the thought.

"I think anyone would after seeing Théos fat ass hanging wide open for everyone to see.", Tristan said, finally joining in. He always used to tease Théo as they were childhood friends so Fabien was used to their back and forth insults. Théo stuck his middle finger in front of Tristan's face before returning to the rest.

"Anyways, did you guys hear from the guy who joined the basketball team. He plays like a monster! It makes me wonder if he has some beast genes.", he said, his eyes wide with fascination. Fabien wasn't too interested as to why he kept a straight face. But the others seemed weirdly curious?

"The new kid? Ohh, yeah he's awesome! The coach is even thinking about letting him join in the national game. Even I haven’t had the honor until now...", Tristan said, slightly disappointed. Fabien was curious about how someone could be better than Tristan. He was known as the top basketball player in the school! He was more athletic than the rest of them. Fabian hadn’t met the guy yet as he missed a week of school due to a fever. It seemed like a lot happened without him realizing it.

"What was his name again? He is quite popular but I can't remember anything but his long blonde hair... ", Max said, making a thoughtful expression. Now Fabien was the one the most interested in the conversation as he pulled himself out of his daydream.

"Long blond hair..?", he asked as he turned to his friends.

"Yeah, you can't believe how many girls love his mane! He looks like a stud who came straight out of a movie..", Théo said, almost dreaming. The guys always used to be turned off by Théos talk but now they just nod with a poker face. They got already used to Théo's open sexuality.

Everyone laughed as they talked on their way to school. Fabien enjoyed it the most since this particular day had shiny and sunny weather ahead. He enjoyed the calm breeze on his skin as he looked through the city buildings. Chapelle was a bit different from Vilein. They both were modern and had a lot of green and woods but the atmospheres were very different. Everything was more energetic and light-hearted and he could stare up to the modern skyscrapers. The ride didn't take long and they finally drove in front of the school gate.

Fabien got out of the car with his friends as he saw the schoolmaster in front of the gate. He showed his ID before passing on to the schoolyard. Fabien was instantly overthrown by some girls who walked up to him with bright smiles.

"Happy birthday, Fabien!", they shouted, surrounding him immediately like a group of fangirls. He laughed while returning their gesture as he talked to them gladly. Most of them were known as extremely pretty and nice that he was so close to them that he could playfully talk to them. His friends eyed him from afar while shaking their heads. This guy is as popular as ever... They thought as they were about to leave him behind with a bitter face. Fabien noticed it immediately as he waved them goodbye. Suddenly he had little presents in his hands. He caught up to his friends as he walked into the school gate...

He laughed off their cold behavior.

Out of nowhere, something began to ring in Tristan's pocket and he had to stop for a moment. He put his phone out while making a confused face. He looked over to his friends while showing the display.

"Seems like French class is starting at 9!", he said. Fabien sighed while looking at the clock.

"Then we have a hour before class starts....", he said. Then he remembered something while widening his eyes. "Oh right! All the kids must be at the cafeteria... I hope Vivian is also there.", he said, already heading off. Max looked at Fabien with wary eyes as he followed him.

"You know she's mad at you because you ignored her phone calls all day. She might snap at you.", he said, but Fabien seemed to be calm about it. Théo joined in from behind as he patted Fabien's shoulder out of pity.

"Just saying, if you suddenly lose your head out of nowhere.", he said and somehow, this made Fabien's heart grow a bit heavier. But he just shrugged his shoulders as he went to the smaller building at the side of the school. Usually if class started later, they could all sit in the cafeteria and wait their time out.

As soon as he arrived, he looked at the many cafeteria tables and spotted a dark-skinned girl with headphones. She bumped her head to the music while working at something on her laptop. He slowly approached her from behind and took the headphones from one side of her ear while whispering.

"Hello-", he said but instantly got caught off guard by her throwing her hands in the air, almost hitting him. He slightly cringed while backing off as soon as she started to scream.

"Oh my god- Fabien..!", she inhaled, finally looking up to the boy. Fabien scratched his ears as his eardrums suddenly started to itch. Vivian looked at him with wide eyes which turned into a glare in seconds.

"Where were you these past days? I tried to call you multiple times.", she shouted out as she got up from her seat. Fabien laughed while holding both his hands in the air as a defense.

"Come on, you can't be mad at me just because I lied in bed with a fever.", he said. It didn't seem to calm her down as she crossed her arms.

"Well, that doesn't explain why you ignored my calls but had the time to FaceTime with Max and play League.", she said, turning to the blonde-haired boy. Max just put his hands in the air in defense and shrugged his shoulders.

"Maybe because you chatter nonstop like a bird.", he said with a smirk and Fabien had to hide a chuckle. It was exactly the reason why he ignored her. Vivian rolled her eyes while grabbing for her bag.

"Anyways, I wanted to be the first one to wish you a happy birthday... But since you didn't take my call in the morning..", she said, her voice bitter as her look. Fabien just rolled his eyes with a smirk while crossing his arms.

"Here.", she said, holding out a big red box with a pretty ribbon on it. Fabien sighed as he had a weird feeling as he didn't dare to open it. Everyone was curious as they gathered around him. He slowly unpacked the ribbon while finally taking off the top. Fabien widened his eyes in shock... He turned back to glare at Vivian.