Part 5

She didn't find out until the next day when she found Harry and Ron at breakfast.

"So, let me get his straight.....you couldn't get through the barrier, and so you decide to take your parents' car, fly it to Hogwarts only to crash it into a Whomping Willow? Not only that, but you were seen by several Muggles?!" She sounded almost as severe and irritable as Snape.

"I'm amazed you two didn't get expelled when you should have been," Hermione remarked sternly.

"Well, luckily, we didn't," replied Ron. "All we got is detention! Now let's drop it, ok?"

They made their way down to the greenhouses, where the magical plants were kept. Upon entering, they changed into gardening robes and gloves. Anne caught a whiff of damp earth and fertilizer mingling with heavy perfume of some giant, umbrella-sized flowers dangling from the ceiling. She joined her friends at a large wooden table with soil and green leaves sticking out on top.

Professor Sprout was standing behind a trestle bench in the center of the greenhouse. She tapped her wand on a stack of pots to get everyone's attention.

"Good morning, everyone! Welcome to Greenhouse Three. Today, we will be repotting Mandrakes. Now, who here can tell me the properties of a Mandrake?"

To nobody's surprise, Hermione's hand was first in the air.

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been petrified to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

"Excellent! Ten points to Gryffindor," said Professor Sprout. "Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet. But they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I have given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. So, could you please put them on, right away? Flaps tight down and watch me closely."

When everyone was ready, Professor Sprout grasped one of the tufty plants firmly, and pulled hard. Instead of roots, a small, muddy, and extremely ugly baby popped out of the earth. The leaves were growing right out of its head. It was clearly bawling at the top of its lungs. 

Professor Sprout took a large plant pot and plunged the Mandrake into it, burying it in dark, damp compost until only the tufted leaves were visible.

"Right! Here we go! Plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake, and pull it up!"

At lunch, Hermione was reading a copy of Lockhart's Voyages with Vampires. She was still feeling slightly stiff about Harry and Ron's flying escapade. 

Ron was running globs of Spellotape over his wand, which apparently snapped in two. "Say it. I'm doomed," he said glumly.

"You're doomed," replied Harry.

Just then a large grey owl came swooping down only to fall into a basket of chips on the table near Ron.

"Bloody bird's a menace," Ron grumbled as he took the envelope from the bedraggled owl. His face went white when he saw the letter. "Oh no!"

One look at the red envelope made Anne shudder. This is not good! He's in big trouble! she thought grimly.

"Head's up, everyone! Weasley's gotten himself a Howler!" Seamus Finnigan declared.

"You better open it, Ron," said Neville in a timid voice. "I ignored one from my gran once. It was horrible."

Anne also recalled Tonks getting one from Andromeda. It was really bad. She placed her hands over her ears, bracing herself for the shrieking that was about to occur.

With shaking hands, Ron opened the letter. Mrs. Weasley's voice vibrated throughout the hall.

RONALD WEASLEY! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THE CAR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER IS NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME!

The envelope then turned to Ginny, saying in a normal voice, "Oh Ginny, dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are very proud."

Ginny looked around awkwardly before the envelope turned back to Ron, giving him a raspberry before shredding itself to pieces.

Ron sat there stunned and humiliated as though a tidal wave had passed over him. A few people laughed and, gradually a babble of talk returned.