Part 18

Just then McGongall's voice echoed through the castle, magically magnified.

"All students are to return to their house dormitories at once! All teachers to the second floor corridor immediately!"

Harry, Anne, and Ron ran downstairs. Not wanting to be discovered, they made their way down to the second floor only to discover the teachers crowded around a desecrated wall. They hid behind a wall off to the side.

"As you can see, the Heir of Slytherin has left another message. Our worst fear has been realized. A student has been taken by the monster into the Chamber itself," McGongall informed the shocked staff. "The students must be sent home. I'm afraid this is the end of Hogwarts."

Lockhart came bursting on to the scene. "So sorry--- dozed off----what have I missed?"

He didn't seem to notice that the other teachers were looking at him with something remarkably like hatred.

Snape stepped forward. "A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Your moment has come at last."

Lockhart blanched. "My moment?"

"weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?" said Snape with a sneer.

"Well, that's settled," said McGongall satisfied. "We'll leave you to deal with the monster, Gilderoy. Your skills, after all, are a legend."

Lockhart looked desperately around him. "Very well.....I'll just be in my office getting ready," he said somewhat weakly before hurrying off.

"The rest of us should go and inform the students of what has happened," McGonagall informed the remaining staff.

"Who is it that the monster has taken, Minerva?" asked Professor Sprout.

"Ginny Weasley."

Ron's face paled and his knees gave away. He slid silently against the wall.

The teachers left revealing another eerie message that was written on the wall in blood.

HER SKELETON WILL LIE IN THE CHAMBER FOREVER!

"She knew something, Harry," Ron finally spoke as they walked away from the scene. "That's why she was taken. She found out something about the Chamber!"

Harry thought of something. "Lockhart may be useless, but he's going to try and get into the Chamber. At least we can tell him what we know."

Darkness was falling as Harry, Anne, and Ron made their way to Lockhart's office. There seemed to be a lot of activity going on inside of. They could hear scraping, thumps, and hurried footsteps.

"Professor, we have some information for you," Harry said as they dashed into his office.

His office has been almost completely stripped. Two large trunks stood open on the floor.

"Are you going somewhere?" asked Anne suspicious.

"Uh, well, yes.....urgent call....unavoidable....got to go!" Lockhart stammered.

"What about my sister?" Ron protested.

"Well, as to that----most unfortunate---" responded Lockhart, avoiding their glares. "No one regrets more than I."

"You're the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher!" yelled Ron. "You can't go!"

"Well....I must say....when I took the job ...." Lockhart muttered, "nothing in the job description mentioned---"

"You're running away?!" yelled Harry in disbelief. "After all that stuff you did in your book?!"

"Books can be misleading," replied Lockhart delicately. "My dear boy, do use your common sense. My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done all those things."

"You're a fraud!" Anne accused him. "Nothing but a swine taking credit for what other wizards have done! I knew there was something about you I didn't like!"

"Is there anything you can do?" Ron inquired.

"Yes. Now that you mention it. I'm rather gifted with Memory Charms," Lockhart admitted hesitantly. "Otherwise, you see, all those wizards would have gone babbling. And I'd never have sold another book. In fact, I'm afraid I'll have to do the same to all three of you."

He pulled out his wand, but Anne already had hers out and ready. "Expelliarmus!"

Lockhart was blasted backwar, falling over his trunk, his wand flew across the floor away from him.

They marched Lockhart out of his office, with their wands pointed at him, to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.