Part 21

They soon found themselves in Dumbledore's office. Fawkes perched himself on a pedestrial behind Dumbledore who was examining the charred diary and the bloodied sword.

Harry told him everything as Anne and Ron listened intently. To nearly a quarter of an hour he spoke into the rapt silence: He told Dumbledore about hearing the disembodied voice, how Hermione and Anne uncovered the fact he had been hearing a basilisk in the plumbing; that Aragog had told them where the last victim of the basilisk had died; how he guessed that Moaning Myrtle had been the victim, and the entrance of the Chamber of Secrets had been in her bathroom.

Dumbledore looked at Harry gravely but at the same time impressed. "Ingenious. Simply ingenious." He closely examined the diary. "Of course, Tom Riddle was probably the most brilliant student Hogwarts has ever seen. Very few people know that Lord Voldemort was once called Tom Riddle. I taught him myself, fifty years ago, at Hogwarts. He disappeared after leaving the school....traveled far and wide....sank so deeply into the Dark Arts, consorted with the very worst of our kind, underwent so many dangerous magical transformations, that when he resurfaced as Lord Voldemort, he was barely recognizable. Hardly anyone connected Lord Voldemort with the clever, handsome boy who was once Head Boy here."

Anne listened astounded by what she had heard. "Sir, does this mean Voldemort was the Heir of Slytherin all those years ago? If he was, could he have found a way to enchant the diary, making Ginny do his bidding?"

Dumbledore nodded. "That is correct, my dear. And I believe he turned the diary into a dark object, possessing a part of himself that enchanted Ginny Weasley in some way to do his bidding."

"She'll be all right, won't she?" asked Ron concerned.

"She will be fine. as of right now, she is in the hospital wing recuperating," Dumbledore assured him.

He then turned grave again. "You three do realize that in the past few hours you have broken perhaps a dozen school rules?"

"Yes, sir," the three of them responded.

"And there is suffcient evidence to expel you."

Anne opened her mouth in horror.

"Therefore, it is only fitting that you three receive Special Awards for Services to the school," Dumbledore added proudly. "Two hundred points a piece for Gryffindor and Slytherin."

"Thank you, sir!" said Anne and Ron gratefully.

"And now, Miss Borden and Mr Weasley, if you would both have an owl deliver these release papers to Azkaban?" said Dumbledore, handing them a scroll of parchment. "I believe we want out gamekeeper back."

Eagerly, Anne and Ron hurried off happy that Hagrid would be returning a free man.

Hogwarts was finally back to normal with only a few small differences---Defense Against the Dark Arts classes were cancelled now that Lockhart was out of commission. The House tables were abuzz with excitement and cheerfulness that evening at the end-of-the-year feast.

Anne, Harry, and Ron were overjoyed when they saw Hermione enter the Great Hall fully restored. They jumped to their feet and raced toward her.

"Hermione! It sure is good to see you again!" Anne cried happily, embracing her friend.

Hermione laughed as she hugged Anne and then Harry. She turned to embrace Ron but paused, an awkward moment between them, before shaking his hand.

"Welcome back, Hermione," said Ron feeling bashful.

"It's good to be back! Congratulations! I can't believe you solved it!"

"Well, we had loads of help from you and Anne," Harry admitted. "We couldn't have done it without you."

Professor McGongall tapped her glass for silence.

Dumbledore stood up. "Before we begin the feast, let us have a round of applause for Professor Sprout and Madam Pomfrey whose Mandrake juice has been successfully administered to all those who had been petrified. Also, in light of the recent events, as a school treat, all exams have been cancelled."

Everyone applauded and cheered except Hermione who groaned in disappointment.

At that moment, the Great Hall doors opened. The room fell silent as Hagrid entered. He glanced around nervous and embarrassed.

"Sorry I'm late!" he said nervously. "The owl that delivered my release papers got all lost and confused. Some ruddy owl named Errol."

Ron's face blushed red.

Hagrid made his way down and stopped turning to Harry, Anne, Ron, and Hermione. "And I just like to say that if it hadn't been for you, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Annie, I would----I'd still be you-know-where, so I'd just like to say thanks!"

"There's no Hogwarts without you, Hagrid," said Harry giving him hug.

Showing his gratitude, Dumbledore slowly started to clap. The others joined him, and soon everyone was on their feet in thunderous applause.

Hagrid overcome with emotion, smiled and wiped his tears.

Anne couldn't think of a happier better moment than to know that once again Hogwarts was saved and would no longer be threatened by the Chamber of Secrets.