chapter 9

"Don't open the door." Dean says. "Don't open the door. Don't open th- and now he's dead." Dean throws up his arms. I laugh at my brother. I don't remember the name of the movie we are watching but it is scary.

"They always open the" insert f-word here "door." Dean yells.

"Well duh." I say.

"Shut up and go get more popcorn woman." Dean says. I roll my eyes but do it any way. When I come back the TV is on that screen where it is white with black dots all over it and it is making a weird sound and the boys aren't on the couch.

"Hello?" I say as I walk farther into the room. Why did I say 'hello'? It's not like a murderer is going to be like 'yo! I'm in the corner murdering you brother and his friends.'

Then something grabs my waist. I scream and jump like ten feet into the air, throwing the popcorn in the process. Turn around to see Dean.

"You asshole!" I scream. I hit him. "I thought y'all were being murdered!" I continue to hit him. Then Zack comes running into the room.

"It was just a joke." Dean says.

"It will be real funny when I murder you." I say.

"I went to the bathroom for less than a minute and y'all start trying to kill each other." Zack says.

"He started it." I say. "I'm leaving. Have fun cleaning up the popcorn." I walk to my room, Zack follows.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"Yeah, he does shit like that all the time." I say.

"I wish I had a brother." He says.

"You have sisters?" I ask.

"No, I'm an only child." He says.

"Sibling can be such a pain." I say.

I set on my purple beanbag and Zack sets on my yellow one.

"You didn't have to come in here. You could have stayed with the boys." I say.

"I know but I want to hang out with you." He says.

"Well I like your company." I say.

"I like yours too."

"So... it's one in the morning, what do you want to do?" I ask.

"I don't know." He says.

"Well I'm board." I say.

"You want to walk to the park?" he asks.

"At one in the morning?" he nods his head. "Why not." I shrug my shoulders. We stand up and quietly walk out of the house.

The park is a twenty minute walk from my house. It probably is not the smartest thing to do after watching horror movies. I hear a noise and jump.

"You okay?" Zack asks me.

"I'm fine, I just hate horror movies." I say.

"Then why did you watch them?"

"Because my dad was like in love with them." I say.

"Do you miss your dad?" Zack asks.

"Every second of the day."

"Same thing with my mom."

"She died?" I ask. He nods. "How?"

"She was in a car accident." He says sadly. I hug him.

"It's okay." I say. He hugs me back.

"What happened to your dad?"

"He was murdered."

"That's horrible."

"That is why we moved here. To get away from all the magazines and newspapers."

"What do you mean?"

"My dad played for LSU."

"Wait, your dad is Dilan Brynn?"

"yeah." I say. I kick a rock as we continue to walk.

"That explains a lot."

"Like what?"

"Your love for LSU. And your name."

"Yes, I was named after my dad. Except my name is spelt with a 'y' and his is spelt with an 'I'." by this time we have gotten to the park. I set down on a swing and Zack sits next to me.

"Your brother looks like an athletic person, does he play football too?" Zack asks.

"Yes, and soccer, baseball, basketball, every sport." I say. "So, you live with your dad?"

"yes." Zack says.

We stay in the park for forty minutes then we walk home. It was around two-thirty when we got back to my house. Zack ended up sleeping on my floor and I lay wake on my bed. I look over the side of my bed. Zack's lips are agape and he is snoring lightly. It's kind of cute. Maybe I am falling for Zack.