Quarantining Together

So I came up with this cute spoby story idea from this prompt I read on twitter. Basically Spencer and Toby are getting a divorce but then they have to self-isolate together during a pandemic and Toby keeps trying to persuade Spencer not get a divorce. Enjoy! :)

Day 4

"So- do you want to do something?"

"Yes, I want leave." Spencer snaps, before turning away from him again.

Toby sighs. "Spence, we're going to be stuck in isolation for at least another month so you might as well talk to me. Besides, there's no one else here but me."

"Unfortunately." She mutters, standing up and heading for the stairs. "I'm going to bed, the couch is yours."

Toby turns to face her. "What happened to us Spencer? We were so close before and now we're just-" He gestures towards Spencer. "like this."

Spencer turns on the landing and glares down at him. "Yeah well, people change Toby. You just don't seem to get that."

She disappeared upstairs and Toby sunk down onto the couch and closed his eyes. He reached into his pocket and pulled out her wedding ring, which she had thrown at him weeks ago when she announced she wanted a divorce. He traced the words inscribed on it- To S, Always and forever my safe place to land ~T -before letting out a sigh.

This was going to be a long quarantine.

Day 13

Another 345 deaths have been reported in the UK following the outbreak of the Corona Virus or Covid-19. A reminder that only one person per household will be able to leave for food and other necessities but must be wearing a mask and gloves. Remember to wash your hands frequently and stay inside. If you refuse to follow these guidelines, you will be escorted home by patrolling police and fined. Schools and-

She couldn't listen to this anymore. She need a drink. Normally, when she found herself stressed out because of some big case she was working on she would grab a beer or a glass of wine to relax and unwind a little, but right now she needed something strong.

Spencer opened the cupboard in the kitchen and her eyes laid on a whiskey bottle. She shrugged, thinking a glass of whiskey wouldn't hurt. She served herself and took a large gulp. Then, she refilled her glass, walking over to where Toby was sitting.

When he heard the clink of the glass on the coffee table, he gave her a weird look.

"We're in quarantine." She said, shrugging and taking another sip. "You're the only one whose going to see me drunk if that happens. If you want something there's beer and some more whiskey."

"No, thanks." Toby replied, shrugging. "Unlike you, I'm not going to drink to de-stress."

"Whatever" She rolled her eyes, pulling her laptop onto her lap and opening onto her current case. She didn't give a damn about what Toby thought.

They spent a while in complete silence, Toby scrolling through Netflix while Spencer 'worked' (she was mostly watching Toby's reactions to the new Killing Eve episode, which were hilarious).

After the episode ended, Toby switched off the television and turned to Spencer. He gave her a smile.

"What do you want?" She huffed.

Toby curled his hand into a fist and held it in front of himself like a microphone. "Spencer Jill Hastings, would you like to attempt to beat me, the Scrabble Master, at a highly competitive game of Scrabble?"

"Oh you are going down Cavanaugh." She smirked.

***

She was losing. Badly. Toby Cavanaugh was impossible to beat. The current score was 95 to 105 and she had no way of winning. Unless...

"I'm going to use your 'c' in 'continuous' and your 'u' and 'i' and make concupiscent. That's 20 points and being on the triple word score so that's 60 points, so that leaves me with 155 points."

"Damn, Spencer Jill Hastings just beat me at a game of scrabble." Toby chuckled. "I'm impressed. You've been practising."

"Or maybe your Scrabble skills are getting worse." She smirked.

"I highly doubt that. But if it helps you sleep at night then..."

"Very funny Toby." She says, while lobbing a pillow at his head. "I think that you're just a sore loser."

"Oh really?" He replies, edging closer to her on the bed. "Am I?"

She bites her lower lip and nods her head slowly. He inches even closer. She can feel his breath on her face. One of his hands reaches under her chin and gently tilts her head up towards him. He leans in and his lips are on hers and she swears there are fireworks exploding the second their lips touch.

Eons later and Toby pulls back, leaning in and whispering a quiet. "Night Hastings." Before retreating downstairs. 

She can still taste him on her lips hours later as she tries to fall asleep that night. 

Day 14

"Can we talk? About last night?"

He looks up at her and she quickly looks down, picking at a loose thread on her sweater.

"What about it?" Toby asks, giving a small shrug. "Did I go to far?"

"No-No you didn't." She shakes her head. "But Toby, we're getting a divorce and you kissed me!"

She gnaws at her bottom lip for a moment before speaking again. "It just doesn't make any sense. We both wanted this and now-"

"I never wanted a divorce Spencer." Toby cut in. "I thought it was what you wanted so I agreed to it. But I still think we can make this work."

"You- You really want to give it another shot?" She asked.

He nodded. "But only if you're okay with it."

She gave a small nod before turning and scurrying up the stairs to the bedroom.

She lost herself deep in though and before she knew it, dawn had bled into night. She stood up. She had made her decision.

***

Toby awoke on the sofa to the feeling of a small lump wedged next to him and the sofa's back. He turned his head slightly to see a sleeping Spencer curled up next to him. He gently lent over and pressed a kiss to her forehead before promptly falling asleep again. 

Day 73

They both stepped out into the bright sunlight, hands clasped together. Toby turned to face her and she smiled before raising her other hand to show that her sparkling wedding ring was now back on her finger. He chuckled and leant in pressing a lingering kiss to her forehead and a quick kiss to her stomach.