Chapter 4

Dakotas POV

I took a deep breath and blew it put heavily as I walked at a brisk pace toward my bike. I didn't want Alex running after me to tell me how disgusting I was or ask what the hell was wrong with me. Quickly I mounted the bike and started pedaling toward my house.

why in the world had I just done that?was I mentally unstable or something? I could very well have just ruined everything I had with my best friend in the world!

I couldn't believe I had just jeapordized our friendship because of one spontaneous moment. if she never wanted to speak to me again I was going to kill myself.

but maybe it wasn't so bad. I mean, I had noticed the hint of s smile, hadn't I? I hoped that wasn't just my imagination.

my brain was occupied that afternoon ad I was riding home that I didn't even notice the stop sign that seemed to appear out of nowhere.

next thing I knew, I was on the ground, and pain was searing through my arm.

"Urgh," I groaned and tried to get up. I was more concerned about the condition of my bike and when I saw that it had been spared a lot of damage I was relieved. my attention went back to my painful arm.

"Oh my goodness! I am so sorry!" a teenage girl jumped out of the drivers seat of the small honda that had apparently hit me and hurried over to me, looking very worried.

"I didn't even see you coming!" she took my good arm and helped me get up, apologies spilling from her gmouth. "I can't believe this, I am so sorry, are you all right?"

"it's ok, really." I wanted her to calm down; all the freaking out was wearing on my already raw nerves. "it was my fault- I didn't stop at the stop sign. I think my arm might be broken though."

"oh my god, do you want me to drive you to the hospital?"

"uhh," my kind was all foggy. and I wasn't really sure what I should do. call my parents and have them drive me? after all, I didn't know this girl.

the pain in my arm was clouding my thinking, and I decided I really didn't want to wait until my parents got here. and I didn't want to listen to them spaz out either. I figured the chances of this girl being a serial killer were very slim, so I agreed.

"Um, yeah, sure. That would be nice."

This point in time was the first chance I got to really take a good look at her.

she looked about 16. petite like me, but a little bit taller. probably a few inches over 5 feet. she had shoulder length jet-black hair that looked natural, despite the lightness of her complexion. she had flawlessly white skin and stunning green eyes. I'm a sucker for green eyes and I felt my knees weaken.

she was beautiful.

suddenly I forgot all about my arm, and I forgot the way that our meeting was brought about. I just wanted to talk to her.

"I'm-- uh, Dakota," I was so distracted by her presence that for a moment I nearly forgot my name.

"Well that's a pretty name," she said as she hauled my bike into the trunk of her car.

Just the fact that she mentioned this made my heart swell with gladness.

"thanks," I said, smiling. "what's your name?"

"Melanie," she said musically. she had a lovely voice.

"Well that's a pretty name too," I grinned at her.

She giggled (very cutely) and helped me into the passenger seat. after making sure I was alright and my arm was in a comfortable position, she walked back to her side, got in, and started the car.