Chapter 7

Dakota's POV

when I got home I collapsed on my bed for a while, gathering up enough resolve to call Alex. I closed my eyes and tries to concentrate, rehearsing the conversation in my mind as best I could. finally I picked up the phone off my nightstand and dialed her number.

ring.  

ring.  

riiing....

"your call has been forwarded to an automatic voice message system."

Dammit! I slammed the phone back down I just got into a fucking bike accident ans sustained. serious injury and she STILL can't answer her phone! why was I so unimportant to her?

I was too tired to get up off my bed so I just picked up my iPod and started reading a book on wattpad. two minuts later the phone rang.

I looked at the caller ID and saw alex's number. surprised, I answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hey Kota."

I wasn't prepared foe the way her voice made me feel. I closes my eyes tightly.

"Hi Alex. you should really make a habit of answering your phone. people aren't gonna want to call you if you never pick up."

"sorry. I was in the other room and didn't hear it ring." Likely story. "so are you gonna tell me what happened now?"

I sighed and started into to the story. I explained that I wasn't paying attention to the roas and ran a stop sign. I told her the girl that hit me offered to drive me to the hospital and I agreed. I specifically left out the part where I fell head over heels for this girl the moment I met her and the part where we kisses. twice. I felt bad for keeping it from her, but I didn't think it would be such a good idea to tell her.

she sounded very upset that I was hurt. I tried to reassure her that I was fine and that I wasn't in pain anymore. she didn't seem convinced.

"what in the world distracted you so much that you wouldn't notice a stop sign, Kota?"

I paused, pondering how to answer that question. I went with the truth.

"well, to be honest...I was actually thinking about you."

she was silent for a good ten seconds.

"really?"

"yeah," I said softly.

"what about me?"

should I tell her? should I just completely spill my feelings and see what happens? could I take that chance?

I took a deep breath. *you can do this Dakota.*

"I was just...thinking about what happened this afternoon." I cleared my throat.

"Oh." shit. what did 'oh' mean?

awkward silence.

"Dakota--"

"Alex--"

We spoke at the same time. I laughed nervously and kept silent, figuring the next thing she'd probably say would be "you first."

"You first." I was psychic.

"No, you."

she sighed heavily. "Alright. um, I just want you to be totally honest right now. what exactly did you mean by what you did today?"

ugh. I didn't sign up for answering questions.

"well...I just...did that cuz I wanted to. I'm always wanting to do stuff like that. I had to get it out of my system." I sounded like an idiot.