Chapter 20

It's been six months since Nella passed away from cancer. Nicole and Nigel are doing well. Dad is handling her death rather well. It really helps to have someone by your side to walk you through a tough journey.

"What have I done to deserve such a good daughter like you?" he had asked.

"Nothing. You did nothing. You don't deserve me," I had replied.

He laughed, knowing that I meant what I said. He knew I still hadn't forgiven him for what he did to my mother but at least I was treating him nicely. At least, he trusts me enough not to kill him in his sleep.

So much has changed in the past ten months. Jace and I have broken our record of the amount of time we've been together. Five years ago, he broke up with me just a little more than five months after we dated.

Now, we're still standing strong.

I'm glad I chose to give him a second chance. Knowing he had indeed changed for the better allowed me to believe that my father was a better man now. Not everyone is a leopard after all. Or perhaps leopards can indeed change their spots if they choose to.

I looked at the mirror. I looked stunning. The gown I was wearing made me feel like a princess. I felt a little nervous knowing I was carrying millions of dollars on me. I have a diamond necklace, diamond earrings and diamond everything.

It would be terrible if I got mugged on my way to the wedding venue.

Stop thinking of irrelevant things, Belinda! You're getting married! All you should think of is your future husband and the happy life you're going to live with him, my conscience yelled at me. I smiled. I looked beautiful.

I remember the day he proposed to me very clearly.

Jace and I were strolling around in Central Park, enjoying the view. Well, all there is to see is snow and some people walking around the park. Jace was acting a little weird the entire morning. Every time I enter the same room as him, he would stumble.

This morning, when I entered the room, he immediately hid something from me. Right before we headed out, he put something into his pocket before greeting me. I brushed it off anyway. Jace is a weird person in general.

All of a sudden, he said, "Belinda."

That surprised me a little because he hardly called me by my full name.

I turned around and saw that he was on one knee. It took me a few seconds to realise that he was holding a ring. So that's what he's been hiding from me all morning! Tears welled up in my eyes. Oh my God, Jace is proposing to me.

"Belinda Clarke, my beautiful Belle, you are the most amazing and the strongest person I know in the world. I love how smart you are. I love how nice you are. I love how we always spend time together. I love you," he said.

My hands were quivering as I covered my mouth. Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God.

"I have also since realised that it's a terrible time to propose because we're both wearing gloves and I can't slip the ring on your finger," he continued.

I burst into laughter. I can't believe I only just realised that. I took deep breaths to calm myself down. Calm your hormones, Belinda!

"Belle, I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to be the first thing you see when you wake up and the last thing you see before you sleep, and the same goes for me. Will you marry me?" he asked.

"Yes! Thousand times yes! Definitely!" I replied and hugged him. I took out my glove and he slipped the ring on my finger. I shuddered at the cold. With that, we kissed. It was a careless proposal but the silliest and most beautiful one yet.