Chapter 8 - The One Where Peri Says the Title

Peri actually slept that night, dreams full of sweet, strawberry kisses and holding hands and romantic dates and flirty glances and shared milkshakes. There was a dance number too, but she couldn't remember any details when she woke up. She showered, pulled on a cream sweater, a caramel-colored corduroy dress over the top, and slid herself into some cream tights. Padding around her room, she brushed her teeth and fumbled with her earrings, brain moving a million miles an hour.

We kissed.

We kissed.

We kissed.

A knock shook her from her mind, and she spat out her toothpaste. "One second!" she yelled, yanking on her tan boots and zipping them as she hopped to the door. When she pulled it open, still zipping her second boot, Tenya was there, backpack over one shoulder and white tulips in hand. A smile spread across her face, barely contained despite her best efforts. "Morning," Peri said, resisting the urge to kiss him in the hall where people could see. "Come in before we get in trouble for making out in the hall."

Tenya's cheeks heated, and his palms were slick just thinking about going into Peri's room. "Uh," he managed, brain not connecting to his mouth.

TenyaIida.exe stopped working

Peri giggled and yanked him inside, shutting her door behind him. "I just have to grab my books and stuff, give me one second," she said, gesturing around her room, "Feel free to sit wherever." She pried the flowers from his hand and got busy trimming them for her vase.

Not daring to move and overwhelm his already struggling brain, Tenya stood next to the door and drank it all in. He remembered her purple chair and her bookshelf, but now he could see the rest... her bed with way too many pillows and blankets. Her fluffy white rug that was probably the hide of a murdered unicorn. The pictures of far-off destinations stapled all over her ceiling. Her white desk with gold accessories, crisp and organized. Her TV and PlayStation set up, complete with two purple bean bags.

The only thing he dared to touch was a golden picture frame on the end of her bookshelf. Inside, a picture of Peri with her dads and her brother, probably on vacation somewhere. They were tan, Peri's hair whiter than usual, and they were wearing swimsuits... looking happy sitting on bright sand. Peri had a book in her lap, but her arms were wrapped around her brother's shoulders, grin wide. His grin was lopsided, but sincere.

"That's Bastien," she said, spooking Tenya. He nearly dropped the picture, but caught it at the last moment. Peri chuckled and continued, "He said he wants to kick your butt for kissing me, but between you and me, I think you can take him." She leaned in and planted a light kiss on Tenya's jaw. "Are you ready to go?"

Tenya put the picture down and turned to Peri. "One more thing," he muttered, catching her cheeks in his hands. He leaned down and kissed her softly, as if he applied any more pressure she would disintegrate. His heartbeat echoed in his ears until he pulled away, gazing into her eyes. They were both breathless, and he whispered, "That's how I wanted our first kiss to be. I'm sorry it wasn't."

The softest smile crept across her face, and Peri said, "We can pretend that this was our first kiss if you want... but the other one is a better story to tell our future grandkids, huh?"

His heart fell into his butt, and he froze.

"I'm kidding! Tenya, calm down. Let's go," Peri laughed, pulling him into the hall.

She was going to be the death of him.

-

"...So then he was making me feel bad for being here, and I just had to log off. Why are brothers so annoying?" Peri said, squeezing Tenya's hand in hers. She couldn't get over it. They were holding hands. In public.