chapter four

Ellie comes back to her room and prepares for dinner. She stares at the dumplings,

"Six days, eighteen meals," Ellie whispers to herself and sighs.

She plated her last five dumplings and placed them in the oven to warm up. She messages Paul while she waits,

"Hey, tell dad I'm about to finish all the dumplings he prepared."

"Hey, neighbor?" Eric shouts and knocks at her door.

Ellie walks to the door and opens it, "Are you gonna take me on a tour again?" she said sarcastically.

"No. Uh, I was gonna ask you to go out for dinner." Eric replies.

"I already have some dumplings in the oven," Ellie said.

The oven dings, "See? I'm good," she says.

She goes to take the dumplings out of her mini oven. Eric lets himself in and closes the door. Ellie places her plate on her table.

"Are you seriously gonna eat five dumplings for dinner?" Eric jokes.

"Woah, did I tell you to come in?" Ellie asks.

"No, you didn't, but I'm not gonna let you eat just five dumplings for dinner," he said.

"My dad made them for me, so you know. I have to eat them," Ellie explained.

Eric smiles and replies, "Okay, cool. But getting dinner with me doesn't mean you can't eat them."

Ellie crosses her arms and raises her brow, judging Eric's existence. The room went silent. Eric sighs,

"We'll get Yakult on the way back," Eric adds.

Ellie's face lights up and throws the plate of dumplings back in the mini oven, but she doesn't turn it on. She grabs her keys, turns to Paul,

"You'll pay, right?"

Eric nods with hesitation.

"Come on, let's go," Ellie said.

They both walk out of Ellie's room, Ellie locks her room, and they head out to a nearby small Chinese restaurant.

"Chuong Garden Chinese Restaurant? Other people eat here?" Ellie asks.

"Yeah, turns out Chinese food is famous in America," Eric replies.

Ellie looks around the place with fascination. Her eyes lock on the menu. Eric speaks,

"Hey, what do you wanna--"

"Braised pork over rice," Ellie requests with faint excitement.

"Can we have one braised pork over rice, one wonton soup and one sweet and sour pork with rice. Take out please," Eric said in Mandarin to the owner.

"Don't forget the Yakult," Ellie whispers on Eric's shoulder.

"And ten Yakults please," Eric requests.

"Uh, thanks for buying me dinner," she said.

"Nah, don't think about it. I never got to know your name, though," he said to Ellie.

"Oh right, sorry. I'm Ellie Chu," Ellie says and reaches out for a handshake.

"Nice to finally meet you, Ellie Chu," Eric says as they do a handshake.

"Order for Eric?" Xin announces while carrying two plastic bags with their order.

"Oh, I'll get it. Go pay for it," Ellie suggests and runs to carry the two bags.

Eric goes to the counter to pay.

"That's the first time you came here with a girl, and she looks Chinese," Xin whispers in Mandarin to Eric, as she hands him two, five Yakults sealed together.

"Yeah, she just arrived today. I figured it would be nice for her to have Chinese food for dinner," Eric explains as he grabs the Yakults and his change.

"Thanks, and have a good evening, ma'am," said Eric.

Ellie says thank you in Mandarin to the owner too as they head back.