Our Lives

When Caroline opens her eyes the next morning, she's surprised to find that Klaus is peacefully asleep next to her. She tries to stay as still as possible, knowing how light his sleep is and how much he needs it. However, either he was about to wake up on his own or the change in her breathing is enough to disturb him. His eyes flutter open and immediately find hers, his lips twitching up when he sees her watching him.

"Morning," she mutters, not bothering to move her head from its resting place against his shoulder.

"Morning, love."

"Is this the awkward part?" she asks abruptly.

"I don't know. I'm usually gone before the morning after."

"Right. Huh..."

She trails off, having no idea what to say, and raises her eyes to meet his again, only to find him smirking at her. She scowls at him, but his smirk only widens at her obvious discomfort. Rolling her eyes at him, she makes a conscious effort to get over the weirdness of the moment.

Okay, so it's a morning after, and it's supposed to be weird, and it's him, and it's her, so it's supposed to be even weirder, but after everything they've been through together, this is actually one of the least awkward situations of the past few months. The only difference is that with her emotions on, she's over-thinking it, but she knows she has no reason to. She knows how he feels about her, there's no fear that he was just trying to get in her pants and he's going to leave now that he got what he wanted from her. And yes, things are nowhere near perfect, but they're certainly not as bad as they could be given where they're coming from. What else could she hope for?

This night was supposed to be a one-time thing, at least until they were in a more healthy place emotionally, but if his smile and the sparkle in his eyes are anything to go by, this accomplished more than anything else has so far, and who is she to deny him if a physical connection is what it takes for him to start feeling more like himself again? This might not be the healthiest or most conventional way to deal with their issues, but if it works...

Smiling at her realization, she extricates herself from his embrace only to straddle him and she plants a kiss on his lips. His hands automatically come to rest on her hips. She lifts an eyebrow at him when she feels him hard between her legs. This isn't exactly what she had in mind when she woke up, but as much of a planner as she is, she's also good at adapting, particularly when the circumstances are this enjoyable.

She will probably regret this later, but right now, in the aftermath of their night together, her body feeling pleasantly relaxed yet buzzing with the need for more, she doesn't care about much else but the feeling of his naked skin against hers. She'll worry about the rest once the haze has faded.

Sensing the shift in her mood, he lets one of his hands travel up her torso until he's palming her breast and she bites her lip when his thumb brushes against her nipple, the touch too light to be really satisfying, but more than enough to stir something low in her belly. She feels herself growing wetter with each flick of his fingers, and soon she's as desperate for him as he is for her. She leans down to kiss him again, and his hand leaves her breast to settle on her thigh as she grasps him and slowly lowers herself down on him. They both moan into the kiss at the feeling of being joined again and she starts moving her hips, her movements almost lazy, seeking the connection more than the release. He seems to be in the same kind of mood, his lips unhurried under hers, his hands slowly exploring her skin, his hips still beneath her as he lets her take control.

She's never been one for morning sex – hello? Morning breath, bed hair and lack of shower! – but she's thinking that this is not a bad way to start the day.