Chapter Two: The hidden dragonet

Chapter Two

              Finally Torrid arrived in the mountains. Exhausted but pleased with herself, she plopped down in a small cave that seemed to be empty. She gazed at the map she had stolen from the lovestruck, spell-touched guard.

    "Hmm... Little Peak... Interesting. Its name really is accurate." She giggled at her own joke but was suddenly hit with a wave of exhaustion. She lied down and was just about to fall asleep when she heard a small squeak. She immediately jumped up, poised for attack, but only saw a tiny pale blue and white dragonet, looking not much younger than her. She narrowed her eyes at the little dragonet. "...Friend... Or foe?" She said suspiciously.

    "C-Crystal," said the IceWing.

    "Um... I didn't ask for your name?" Said Torrid.

    "...Foe?" said the small white creature. Torrid glared at the creature, ready to attack when it occurred to her that perhaps the small dragonet wasn't sure of the meaning of 'Foe.'

    "Foe. Like... Enemy? Dangerous... Errr... mean... dragon?" 'Crystal' perked up.

    "Oh...Friend!!" She said, cheerily. Torrid sat down.

    "Ok..." She began. "So.. your name is Crystal. That's cool. And you aren't a mean dragon..." She trailed off, unsure of where to go next when a plan formulated in her mind. "Do you think you could help me?" She said to the small dragon.

    "Yes!" Crystal said. Her head tipped to the side like a dog's.  "Help with what?" She added. Torrid thought of how to word this.

    "Well, I really like this one prince..." she began.

    "...Friend?" interrupted Crystal.

    "Err... No. Love." said Torrid, somewhat awkwardly.

    "Oh," said the little dragon softly. "I've never loved before.." She looked so sad that Torrid almost felt a sense of protective motherly instinct towards the small dragon. "Well, you'll have tons of time. You're still very young.." she said with uncertainty. How young even is this little dragon? As if reading her thoughts, the little dragon said

    "Ten," said Crystal.

"Ten..." repeated Torrid. Only 2 years younger than me...? "Well, you, ah, certainly look younger," said Torrid. But now that she looked closer, without judgment on size, Crystal seemed to have a scarred flank, muscly limbs and sharp spikes, all the marks of a dragonet nearing adulthood. She shook her head to clear it and focused on the task at hand. "Anyways. What's your goal?" she said. The dragonet-- No, 'small dragon'... looked confused again, and Torrid growled in frustration. Crystal jumped back and looked scared. Torrid brushed her tail over Crystal's to comfort her. "Sorry. I... might have a few anger issues," she said sheepishly. "Goal... it's like your... hope. What you want to do in life,"

    Crystal paused. "...S'okay," said the small dragon. "... I want to find Dad. He left when I was..." She paused, thinking. "Two. I don't remember him well, but he showed me how to fish, fly and catch birds... Though, I've kinda forgotten the flying part," she said, with the same sad expression on her face. Torrid looked up at her.

    "Well, I can teach you. Think of it as a quid pro quo. You help me get revenge on Prince Asch's little girlfriend, I mentor you through flying and anything else you've forgotten." She looked at Crystal pointedly and added "And teach you better Puilanish. Seriously, kid... you need to learn better Puilanish." Crystal furrowed her eyescales, thinking about it.