Chapter Eight- A New Perspective

Orca tapped the tip of the quill against her snout. Her letter to Asch proposing elopement had to be absolutely perfect. She had finally begun to write when her door pushed open, startling her so much that she tipped her bottle of ink over. She whirled around.

"Who's there? Don't disturb me!... Poinsettia...?" A pink and blue hybrid stood at the door.

"Oh thank the Queen! You're alive!" Screeched the hybrid. Poinsettia's face was lightened with relief. Orca looked puzzled  and frustrated.

"Yes, I am alive and well. Why would I not be, I am curious?"

Poinsettia paused. "Your last letter, it alarmed me. I thought maybe you'd been pushed to the brink of..." Her face darkened. "Nevermind." It brightened again. "You're alive, and that's all that matters!" Orca smiled, getting up from her desk.

"Yes, and I best clean up this mess." She got a cloth and a vase of water, pouring it over and wiping up the ink. "I was just about to send a letter to Asch. It is finally the time for a planned elopement. She looked quite excited, and Poinsettia smiled, but lost a bit of her light in her gaze.

"Yes, it is... very exciting," murmured Poinsettia. Orca seemed to finally notice the small white dragon at Poinsettia's side.

"And who might you be?" She said kindly to the young dragon. Crystal narrowed her eyes at her, looking suspicious.

"Crystal. I'm Poinsettia's sister. She wanted me to meet you, 'cause I was always taught you were bad." Orca looked concerned.

"And why is that?" Asked Orca. Poinsettia covered Crystal's ears, much to her annoyance.

"She was rehabilitated by... Torrid."

"Oh, I see," said Orca, frowning. She turned to Crystal, and to Crystal's surprise embraced her in a hug. "That dragon is the embodiment of demons. She is wrong, and you must be protected from her. As you are my closest friend's lost sister, you are like a child to me. I refuse to let you be pulled into her aura of coldness." Orca pulled away and looked Crystal in the eyes. To her surprise, Crystal sniffed, and then burst into tears.

"T-Torrid was never like a m-mom to me. She was m-mean and she made me do things and sh-she.. she."

"She what?" Prompted Orca, more than ready to kill.

"She lost my stuffed Wilson-on-on!" Blubbered Crystal. Poinsettia looked perplexed. She turned to Orca.

"What's a stuffed Wilson?"

"Beats me," Orca whispered. She turned to Crystal. "We'll get your stuffed animal back. Don't worry. Poinsettia can take-" she started. Orca was interrupted by the sound of a scroll arriving in the chute. She immediately ran over to it, gushing "A letter! It's from Asch... maybe he's asking me to marry him. We can have a nice life together!" Her eyes shone, and she grabbed the scroll. Poinsettia and Crystal looked at each other awkwardly, and looked back at Orca. She opened the scroll, and her face fell as she read through it. She dropped in on the floor and ran out into the hall.

"Get me the duo! I need to take a... political trip... to the SkyWing kingdom!" She yelled. Not soon after, two SeaWings, one big and teal and one small and dark blue, bounded into the room. They sat at attention. Poinsettia grabbed the note as the three dragons talked, and read it over.

My dearest, Orca. I am in a most drastic of times, and though I'd much rather declare my love for you once more, I am unfortunately occupied by a much more pressing situation. My mother is not well. She may die. Come with your best healers, and be ready to say goodbye. I have not lost all hope yet.