it's always been u

it's u.

it's always been u.

10 years old

"how could she do that to me? why did she leave for brad?" josh asked as we both sat on the swings.
"i think it's because brad is in 5th grade." i licked my lollipop. he scoffed.
"well whatever. he's dumb."
"it's ok. at least ur cute." he smiled and looked at me.
"i am?"
"mhm." i licked my lollipop inoccently once more.
"thanks, Y/N/N! ur my best friend."
"ur my best friend too!"
we got up and hugged.

14 years old

"did she really just break up with me through text? what did i do? i mean, i gave her my lunch! heck, i even held the door for her everywhere she went! now she's talking to steve...." josh shook his head and looked down. i scooted closer to him and rubbed his back.
"hey, she doesn't deserve u. i saw the way u treated her. she did not value u enough. ur better off without her, ok?" he looked up at me and gave me a sad smile.
"u really think so?"
"of course. she can go with steve, but steve doesn't have charm. and steve most certainly isn't as caring or as sweet as u." he smiled.
"thank u, Y/N/N. i'm so glad we're best friends."
"i am too." we both hugged each other tightly.

18 years old

i embraces josh in my arms as he sobbed into my chest.
"she slept with him, Y/N/N. more than once! and we were barely two months into our relationship,"
he said between sobs. i took a deep breath and hugged him tightly.
"i'm so sorry, josh." i just held him there.
"what did i do, Y/N?" he looked at me in the eyes. his eyes were bloodshot, puffy, and his hair was just a mess. "w-what did i do-,"
"u didn't do anything, alright?" i lifted his chin up to face me. "this isn't ur fault. it's hers for not keeping it in her pants and not seeing what an amazing guy u are. u treated her with so much respect. i promise u, u will find someone who loves u and values how much u do for them." i saw tears strolling down his cheeks as he looked me deep in the eyes.
"i will?" his voice broke.
"yes, u will! ok?" i rubbed my thumb against his cheek, still cupping his chin. he sniffled.
"thank u, Y/N/N. i just don't know what i'd do without u." i gave him a tiny smile before he collapsed into my arms. i was so angered at the fact that everyone takes josh for granted. no one deserved him.

2 years later
Josh's POV
"u up for our monthly movie night?" i asked.
"u know i am. and, it's technically a weekly movie night."
i chuckled. "true. make sure to bring snacks."
"will do. i'll make sure to buy that chocolate u like."
"oh, that's greattt. bring ittt!"
"will do. i'll see u there. bye, josh."
"bye, Y/N/N." we hung up. i was stoked so i decided to get the things ready.

a few hours later

ding, dong.
i quickly got up and ran to the door. there she was. her curls dangling perfectly. her adorable smile that seemed to always be there. her eyes shining extra bright. i felt different. my feelings felt different. of course, she's always beautiful, but she looked even more beautiful right now. she was holding up the snacks, a goofy, adorable smile plastered on her face. no makeup, no jewelry. i started to feel.....butterflies....in my....stomach..? whatever that means.....
"hiiii," she said, still with that amazing smile. i smiled wide as my face lit up.
"hey," i said and i felt somewhat jittery..? why? she's my best friend? i shouldn't feel so.......so....anxious.
"come in," i said and gestured for her to enter. she smiled once more and walked in. she went to go put the thinks on the kitchen counter.
"sooooo, i quickly rummaged through my pantry, mostly cause i was hungry, and i found chocolate chip cookies!" i just looked at her. she was adorable when she was excited. i chuckled softly.
"oh, u know i love those."
"mhm!" she went to go get two glasses from my cupboard and poured lemonade for both of us.
"cheers, to us," she said. i smiled and cheered with her.
we got everything set up. the snacks, the tiny fort we always make, and the movie. i hit "play" on the remote and got comfy. Y/N snuggled up close to me, her head leaning on my lap. i held her, as if she was the most fragile thing in the world.
"i love cinderella," she said as she kept her eyes on the tv.
"but it's so unrealist-,"
"josh, just be quiet. u think everything is unrealistic. when i had an Beauty and the Beast-themed birthday party, u said it was unrealistic for a beast to ever become a prince and that belle shouldn't have gotten a happily ever after."
"but it's true!"
she looked up at me. "i was seven!"
i sighed and shook my head. "my standards still stand."
she chuckled. "alright then."
"i remember that one time u made me watch princess and the frog with u."
"oh my gosh!!" she laughed. "'how could a prince ever become a frog?'"
i laughed. "'he's so ugly as a frog, too.'"
we both died, laughing our butts off.
"those were good times," she said.
"yes, they were." she then focused her attention back on the movie. "i'm glad we always had each other."
she looked up at me and smiled. "me too."
"u always stood by me whenever i got my heartbroken and whenever i was going through something. i'm just really grateful for that, Y/N/N." she sat up and looked at me.
"i'll always be here for u. no matter what. always have, always will."

then, it hit me.

it was always her.

all along,

it was her.

i looked her deep in the eyes, almost feeling the redness go to my cheeks. my heart started to beat twice as fast. she looked at me, noticing how i looked. she gave a tiny, shy smile. as i looked into her e/c eyes, i could just feel how warm my cheeks were. she looked back at me, looking as nervous as i was.

Y/N POV

"i'll always be here for u. no matter what. always have always will." josh head shot up, his eyes widening. not in fear, but more of a realization. it's as if he had some huge revelation. he looked at me, his eyes shinier than they usually were. he had a certain look. he looked nervous and red. i started to feel nervous. i had liked josh for so long. did he like me too? we stayed looking at each other. i had a shy smile. why was i shy??
"Y/N, i need to get something off my chest. right here, right now." i started to feel startled. what would he say?
"uh- y-yeah. g-go a-ahead," i stammered.
he cleared his throat. "i......i- ok, um- man, this was harder than i thought." he sighed. "u know how many times i've gotten heartbroken?"
"about 8."
"ok yeah- wait, u know exactly how many times i- ok, off the point. um-," i felt my hands start to sweat. "i've gotten my heart broken many times. so many times, but u were always there to pick me up. u would always pick up the pieces of me that needed fixing. well, i.....i realized that.....deep down.....under all of the hurt and the shattered pieces.....i had these undeniable feelings.....for u." my eyes widened as i slightly opened my mouth. my heart was now beating faster and faster, so much i could basically feel it beating out of my chest.
"y-y-you? but- i? uh....y- m-me?"
he looked at me and gave me a promising smile. "u. it's always been u." my heart fluttered. i couldn't believe what i was hearing.
"josh, i've had feelings for u for.....forever." his face lit up.
"u have?"
"yes, i have." we looked at each other, once again, in the eyes. i could feel him leaning in, so i started to lean in as well. the second we kissed, i felt sparks. his soft, pink lips against mine was the thing i've been waiting for for....well, forever. the movie was still playing in the background, the fireworks going off on it. it only made the moment even more magical. we pulled out of the kiss, his hand on my cheek, my hand around his neck.
"14 year old me is quaking right now," i said. we both chuckled.
"i love u," he said in the most sweetest way. i smiled.
"i love u too, josh." we looked at each other one more time, before he leaned in to kiss me again, this time it lasted. i could stay like this forever.
"is this realistic enough for u?" i asked.
he chuckled. "mm, not enough."
"oh yeah? what would make it enough?"
"another kiss?" i rolled my eyes playfully, then looked him.
"only if u kiss me."
he shook his head and kissed me passionately.

i guess dreams do come true

halllooooo that was a lot but i think it's rlly cute so don't let it flop pls:(
wash ur hands and stan why don't we for clear skin
byeee ppls