chapter 6

(a/n: i'm trying to make things more detailed hhh so the chapters might be a little bit longer from here on out)

The bus ride to school has never felt so long. My heart is racing desperately to get to school so I can see Rin. I didn't notice how much her presence became a treat to me. Days with her surpass any other days. I guess there's only one explanation for that, but I won't be the girl to confess her feelings to the new girl a week after she transferred here. It's silly.... Is it really though? It's not just me who has been throwing signals left and right. It can't be just me. The way we interact is the same way a couple would act, and those words didn't come from me. Rin said it herself! I'm doing everything I can to keep us as friendly as possible, but she's the one who keeps pushing for things to escalate. Honestly speaking, I'm glad she is. Although if this is all my imagination, I'll say goodbye to my dignity right here and now.

The school bus stops, grabbing my attention away from my inner thoughts. It feels like I'm the first one to get out of my seat. After being squished between people and accidentally being pushed closer to the exit, I find myself at the front of school. I immediately start walking towards the doors.

"Gumi!"

That voice snaps me out of my mission to enter school. I turn around and see Miku making her way towards me while dragging Luka along with her. Ah, I forgot to wait for them this time.

Once she catches up to me, the tealette pouts, "Why're you in such a hurry?"

"No reason."

Luka gives me a glance, and it makes me feel like she can see right through my words.

"Oh, come on!" Miku swings an arm around my shoulders and pulls my neck down to meet her height. "There has to be some reason why you were walking so fast."

"I-I guess I just wanted to get to class early." Out of all the times I have to stutter, it has to be now?

"Hmm. Sounds suspicious! Tsk, tsk, tsk. Gumi is up to no good." The tealette giggles.

Luka speaks up with a smirk amongst the giggling, "You're trying to see Rin, aren't you?"

I let out an unconvincing laugh, "No, why would I rush that much just to see her?"

"Well, whether you were going to see her or not, I saw her walking behind us with Len. If you want to go say hi then she should be back where we were earlier. Miku and I will be fine."

The tealette takes her arm off of me to fold both of her arms. She huffs, "You're saying we'll be fine like I'm some wild animal!"

Luka snickers, "I wouldn't be wrong, now would I?"

Tuning out of their conversation, I walk back to where I first saw the pair. I don't see Len's signature cowlick, nor do I see any people who resemble the twins.

"Gumi?"

Looking beside me, I see a recognizable pair of baby blue eyes. They're Rin's. I take a look at her hair, and I realize why I couldn't spot her out in the crowd. She's wearing a beanie today. There's writing on it, but, as usual, it's something I can't read. Realizing I stayed silent, I pipe up, "Rin, hey!"

She gives me a smirk, "Were you looking for me?"

I start to mumble, "Kind of."

"You could've just texted me, y'know?" As my face starts to go red, Rin giggles, "You're so cute, ugh!"

My stomach does somersaults after hearing her say that. "Thanks." I manage to say.

"Usually you're supposed to say 'you're cute too Rin'." She's just teasing me at this point, but I'll give in this time.

"You're cute too, Rin. Happy?"

"Very!"

She and I walk back to the front of school, waiting for Len to catch up with us. He eventually runs up to us, telling us he thought he lost us amongst his panting. Apparently he was running around everywhere to find us. Rin and I get a good laugh out of that, but, soon enough, we make our way to homeroom. The three of us delve into light conversation as we walk to class. As we're walking in, Len stops me.

"Um... can we talk for a bit?" He says.

Rin gives him a questioning look, but she walks into class after a few seconds.

"I guess so." I tilt my head, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's great! Which is why I kind of want to talk to you about something."

"So, Yuuma and I were talking a lot yesterday, and I have to tell you this."

I nod for him to continue.

"Your feelings can't be accepted."

My heart seems to stop in its tracks. "My feelings...?"

"Yes. I know how you feel, and I just have to stop it now. Things won't work out. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but I can't let you go on like this."

I furrow my brow, confused.

"We're still friends, don't worry! It's just that things between you and me could never-"

I'm even more confused now. "Hold on. What'd you just say?"

"I said things between you and me could never work out."

I laugh. My heart is at ease now. "I don't like you that way, Len."

"You don't?" He raises his eyebrows.

"Yeah. How'd you get to that conclusion?"

"Yuuma figured that you were spending all this time with Rin to get closer to me. If not that, then he said you might like Rin."

I glance away from him and sputter out my words, "We should get to class." After that, I immediately walk into homeroom. Rin gazes at me as I walk in, but I don't do anything back. I just sit in my chair and gaze away from everyone. What if Len tells Rin? Ugh, I screwed up big time.