chapter 11

(a/n: i'll admit, i didn't double-check this chapter for any errors so there might be a few mistakes here and there,, hopefully there aren't too many ehdhsdh)

Watching a movie with Rin was cut short by my parents arriving home. Thank goodness the living room is away from the front door, or else I would've gotten endless comments about how I actually have someone over for once. As soon as I heard my dad announcing that him and my mom got home, Rin and I immediately jumped out of our comforting embrace. I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind me cuddling someone, but we didn't want to take the chance of being sat down for a lecture. Even though today is the first time my parents formally meet her, they've heard plenty about her from me already. The amount of times I've babbled about her during dinners is certainly a great number. Anyways, after my parents came into the living room, they gave us the look. It's the look parents give you when they know what's happening, but they decide not to officially say it. Once we all gave each other quick greetings, Rin and I retreated to my bedroom. We made ourselves comfortable, for I wasn't hesitating on putting my arm around her shoulder, and she was quick to put her arms around my waist in response to my action.

As of now, Rin and I are lying down together in bed. Dinner passed by fast, with my dad occasionally wiggling his eyebrows at me because I was holding Rin's hand under the table. I yawn.

"Looks like someone is sleepy." Rin looks up at me with a faint smile; even with the dim lighting, her smile shines.

I can't help but let a grin onto my face as well. "You're tired too, don't deny it."

She cuddles closer to me after I finish my sentence. "Well, duh, but I don't want to sleep yet."

"Why's that?"

Her eyes seem to glisten in the dark, "I wouldn't want to miss out on talking to my girlfriend!"

My heart swells, but then I realize what the last word of her sentence was. "Girlfriend?" I repeat, more to myself than to her.

Rin raises an eyebrow, "Yeah. Did you forget that you're my girlfriend?"

"But we never asked each other out!"

She starts to blush in embarrassment, "Oh... you're right. I'm so dumb, I thought we were dating." Her visage seems to turn sad.

I feel the heat coming to my face too; this is the moment. "Hey, Rin?"

"Hm?" Her eyes make contact with mine. She knows where I'm going with this.

"I know we never specified anything before, but..." my heart starts pounding faster than ever before, "...will you be my girlfriend?"

She beams, "Duh. Did you expect any other answer?"

"I don't know." I let out a sheepish laugh because I know the moment isn't over yet. "I have another question."

"Go on."

"So - like - are you comfortable with everything?" Ugh, I'm chickening out....

"Yeah, of course. I love being this way." Rin gives me an affectionate nuzzle, and it boosts my confidence.

"That's good, I'm glad you feel the same. I'm actually trying to ask something else though." I pause to regain my breath. "Do you mind if... I... um...." My voice fades away as I try to jumble the words together.

I feel a hand on my cheek. Rin gives me a reassuring gaze, "Gumi, do whatever you want to do. I trust you."

Her words put me at ease. "Thanks. Can you close your eyes? It'll only be for a second."

She lets out a hum of acknowledgement and then does just as I said.

I sigh, getting all of the jitterbugs out of my system. In one swift movement, I lean closer to Rin, and I do what I've been yearning to do for the past few weeks. This is my first kiss... I wonder if it's hers too. The moment ends as fast as it started.

Once I lean back, Rin looks up at me with an expression of pure bliss. She stays silent for a little while, but then she speaks up, "That was great."
"Yeah, it was."

Her face starts to flush, "I'm glad you're the one I gave my first kiss to."

"It was my first too."

She and I start to laugh, but, soon enough, we settle into a relaxing embrace. "Goodnight, Gumi."

"Night."

"I guess it's too early to say I love you, so - um - I like you, I guess?"

I giggle at her ever-present cuteness, "You know, I'm not going to go crazy if you say you love me, right?"

"I know, I know, but we haven't even been dating for a day!"

"Remind me how long we've been developing feelings for each other and how much we've already gotten to know each other."

Rin is silent at first. "I guess you have a point.... Can I say it just this once?"

"If that's what you want, then go for it."

"Alright, alright. Let's retry this. Goodnight, Gumi."

"Goodnight."

"I love you." She frantically giggles and wraps her arms tighter around me, "That was fun to say."

Deciding to add on to her joy, I give her forehead a quick peck and I reply, "I love you too." She was right, it is fun to say.

"Aww, you said it back!"

I respond by giving her a quick nuzzle.

After the silence follows our conversation, she and I both start to fall asleep.