1

It had been ten days.

Ten entire days since Reina became Cosette Pembrook. Physically, she had adapted about 80% to this tiny body. Mentally, it was a very weak 15% at the beginning. She was stuck in bed for the first three days, in and out of consciousness. She heard voices around her but could never open her eyes fully enough to see who they belonged to.

But then came the fourth day, when she finally regained some sanity, it was like her head was cracked open and years of memories came flooding out.

Cosette.

She remembered lonely days in her room, stuck in bed. Bastien's masked indifference, and Vincent's obligated pity. Her parents, who were so big and grand, and she, who caused them to sigh and shake their heads. She remembered wanting- wanting to be normal, wanting to run around and wanting to make her family happy. But in front of them, she could never reach out. Cosette and Reina's consciousness merged and clashed, until an uncertain balance was forged.

Not quite Cosette, not quite Reina. Not quite adult, not quite child. Not a novel, not fully reality.

Cosette shut her eyes, no longer the coal-like eyes that pressured even the most powerful of businessmen. Now they were a dark blue, like the sky right before nighttime. Her thick, curly eyelashes felt foreign, yet familiar against her cheeks. She never had hair this long, or skin this pale; this beauty was strange to her.

But still, every little movement, from the way she slept to the way she breathed. It was still her. Even if it wasn't.

["Who is she?" I asked, mesmerized at the family picture. The usually stoic Vince was but a boy looking adoringly at a lovely little girl. Her dimpled smile was so beautiful, I was shocked. She must be a goddess now, must be one of those sparkling women that went to the fancy parties Vince goes to. I was embarrassed I was feeling jealous of a child.

"My little sister."]

Verses from Reaching for the Skies floated around her head, intensifying the migraine. After calming herself down with heavy, deep breaths, she could finally see this world clearly. She was Cosette Pembrook. Her mental adaption rose to about 40%.

That didn't seem to be enough considering the next few days she was still carrying a high fever and constant headaches. But to be fair, Cosette was always sick.

[Bastien frowned at the memory, his usual princely mask cracked, "Etty was like a fragile bird who god didn't let fly as a cruel joke."]

It was a strange feeling, knowing she was in a story, a work of fiction, but yet this pain was undeniably real. Finally, on day seven, when her mental state was fully clear and her physical was manageable, Cosette could greet her visitors.

A cool hand touched her forehead. She followed that arm with her weary eyes, until she was met with a pair of startling blue ones. Cosette had seen a lot of foreigners as Reina, but never did she meet anyone as majestic as this woman. She smiled kindly, her pink lips stretching against her pointed cheekbones.

"Good morning, baby." Her voice, unlike her face, was deeper and more stable than imagined. It was nice, it reminded her of Yuki.

Cosette made a sad attempt of a smile, "hello, Mother."

She rubbed her head in silent comfort, her long caramel tresses brushing her face.

"Are-are you feeling better?" The tall man bent down to his daughter's level, his carved face surprising her even though she had seen it many times in her memories. This really was the world of a novel, everyone was too inhumanely gorgeous.

While to others, he might look as if he was uncaring, she could see the worry flow from his pale eyes as he looked at her. His lips were pursed, and there was a tightness in his strong jaw. Mustering up all her energy, she found his large hand with her own palm. She could only grip a few of his fingers with her small hand. Ethan Pembrook quietly wrapped his other hand over Cosette's, enclosing it within his hold.

"Mm. I'm okay." Her voice was hoarse, not like a little girl's.

He laid a soft kiss on her wrist, his long black bangs covering his dismal gaze.

"The doctor said you need more medicine. You were barely awake for a week, baby." Annalise's pale fingers shook ever so slightly as she brushed the hair out of Cosette's face.

"I'm sorry, Mother, Father."

The two shook their heads instantly, "no, Etty. Its never your fault, okay? You just have to get better. You will be just fine, my love."

She nodded at her mother's reasurance, "where are my brothers?"

"They're waiting for you. Once you feel okay, you can play with Bas and Vince."

Cosette nodded, feeling the last of her feeble strength fade away. Ethan, seeing her fluttering eyelids, tucked the blanket securely over her small body, up till her chin. Annalise made soothing noises as she patted Cosette until she easily fell asleep in a familial warmth that felt both a stranger and a friend.

°

Ethan Pembrook was the pillar of the Pembrooks, a family dynasty that had lived for generations. Their wealth was as old as wealth could be. They had investments and businesses and connections in everything and everywhere. The current head was widely known to be cutthroat and unapologetic in all his actions, business or otherwise. His stoic, godly face haunted the nightmares of many of the people who crossed him.

That same man was currently outside his youngest child's room, on the verge of tears.

"She held my hand, Lise." He emphasised to his wife, who nodded at him in understanding.

The tall man looked at his hand in wonder, as if it were a national treasure. His daughter had always been his life's one point of confusion. She was adorable, yes, but she was also quiet and standoffish. Maybe it was because she was always sick, and he was always busy with work. She had never even tried to talk to him, let alone hold his hand.

His joy at seeing his daughter open up was conflicted with her worsening health. Lise, as if seeing her husband's worries patted him on the shoulder.

"Come, let's tell the boys their sister is awake."

In the living room, the two other Pembrook children were sitting on the couches while having their tea. They were both tall for their ages, much bigger than the average 5 and 6 year old. The older boy looked up first, his light blue eyes questioning.

"Etty is awake now." Their mother explained, sitting next to her youngest son, who had a cookie in his mouth. She smoothed out his slightly messy hair.

"Can we see her?" Vincent asked, his little face unreadable.

His father, the adult version of him, shook his head as he sat on an armchair. "No, Vince, your sister is still resting."

The six year old did well to hide his disappointment. His younger brother wasn't bothered, reaching for another cookie despite his mother's slight exasperation.

"The doctor has seen her. I'm sure she will get healthier soon. Watch, she'll be stronger than the both of you before you know it." Annalise smiled at the boys with their identical eyes. She didn't know if she was reassuring them or herself.

Ethan looked down at his hands as if he could still feel that soft palm. The room fell into silence.

°°°

I'll do updates every Monday.
Hopefully, I'll stick to it.
I seriously need to study for my exams but also I can't be bothered.
Would they really fail me during coronatime?
They can't be that cruel,
right?
Pray for me, please.

I'm lowkey sacrificing my education for this so if u wanna help yo girl out,
look up this link in ur browser n buy a broke bitch some coffee:
Ko-fi.com/doramifaaack