11

"It was Sara, wasn't it?"

Annalise visibly flinched while her husband suddenly found the floor incredibly appealing to look at. Their straight-faced daughter didn't relent, probing once more, "where is she now?"

The lady of the Pembrook estate sat elegantly on the white sofa, her golden-brown hair braided neatly to the side. Such a youthful hairstyle didn't look out of place when worn by the radiant, bright-eyed woman. The feminine mulberry dress contrasted against her white skin, and matched her dark lipstick perfectly.

After a tense silence, Annalise sighed, placing her untouched tea on the saucer, "she's in a better place now."

'it's in a better place now.' That was what Reina said to her little cousin when he asked for the pet fish he had left at Reina's place for the weekend. That 'better place' was actually the toilet bowl where its funeral was held after she had mistaken mints for fish food.

Although Cosette was never a forgiving person, especially to people who had tried to kill her, she couldn't deny the rare attachment formed towards the warm maid.

That was why she was slightly alarmed by the statement, "you killed her?"

Ethan Pembrook, the man who usually commanded the largest presence in any room, had been sitting quietly. His broad shoulders shrunk in and his large clasped each other nervously as if he wanted to be one with the couch. However, hearing his youngest child's accusation the man's neck snapped forward with wide eyes, "what-"

"Cosette Pembrook, what are kind of foolishness are you spouting?" Annalise couldn't help reaching out to pinch Etty's cheeks. The slim fingers were merciless as they pulled and squeezed the soft skin.

"Schop eet, Mwadher." Etty struggled to speak with her squirrel-like cheeks being pulled like mochi.

Ethan regained his senses, hurriedly reaching out to stop his wife's attack. As soon as he laid a worried hand on Lise's wrist, it was slapped with Olympic-level reflexes. The man soothed his stinging hand with accusing, pitiful eyes.

Annalise ignored him, still squishing the reddening cheeks, "was it this mouth, huh? Accusing her own parents of being murderers? Was it?"

"Et twas a lowgicwal assumton." Even in her unfavorable position, Etty refused to admit defeat.

Frustrated to death, Lise finally released Cosette who hurriedly rubbed the tomatoes on her face. They had swelled to the point that her usually visible dimples were buried deep within.

"You've been reading too many strange stories. Sara was sent to the police as a suspect. It turns out her son was being threatened, so she was forced to put something in your drink. Apparently, she didn't know it was..."

Annalise's matter-of-fact voice trailed off, an absentmindedness covered her face. She gazed at her daughter with painful remorse, an expression Etty had seen frequently post-coma, and gently rubbed the face she had just kneaded like playdough. Cosette didn't point out her mother's hypocrisy and just leaned into the cool palms.

"Anyway," her voice broke slightly, "she's being given protection while they continue their investigation."

"Why did Harold Taran try to kill me?" Cosette asked with clear eyes.

Her father's face instantly blackened at mention of that cursed name, a depthless rage burning within him. This was the intensity of a man who had single-handedly crushed an underworld empire. Annalise quietly wrapped her hand over Ethan's shaking, clenched fist. He visibly relaxed at her touch, the bloodthirsty aura easing.

The couple looked at each other, silently deciding whether or not to answer their inquisitive daughter.

Finally, Annalise nodded grimly, allowing Ethan to reveal the series of horrific events that plagued him every day of his life.

•••
Ayee. Lol ok so I'm a day late, but actually you know what it's still Tuesday somewhere so don't sue me. Anyway, here's a quick update. I was planning to finish all the angsty family drama today but I'm busy af with uni. Also I'm tired af so don't mind the grammar mistakes.

I promise that it'll be some lighthearted good, old-fashioned boys over flowers vibes within the next two chapters. See ya next next Tuesday ✌️.

I'm lowkey sacrificing my education for this so if u wanna help yo girl out,
look up this link in ur browser n buy a broke bitch some coffee:
Ko-fi.com/doramifaaack