Lesson 2: Anatomy of the Uniform (+ Student Pilot Bag)

Surely, even without the interest in aviation, kapag nakita niyo sa movies or shows or even in real life, mapapasabi kayo na, "Wow. Ang ganda ng uniform." (Tbh, kiddie me think of it that way kaya pinili ko mag-piloto hehehehe). Anyway, yes, maganda talaga. Dahil parang ang linis at ang talino, lalo na kapag proper posture, din, di ba?

But, what is the truth behind that pristine uniform? Ano ba yung mga bars sa balikat? Bakit ang "cool" nilang tignan. Bakit parang chill ang ginagawa nila? Only if you know the truth...

On this lesson, I'll be explaining the uniform and what is inside the Pilot's bag that I've received on my first day as a student pilot.

UNIFORM

So, here it is. The "cool" and "elite" uniform. Yes, "elite". "Cool", not much, for a student pilot. I mean, "cool" tignan, but not literally. (will be explaining soon sa lesson regarding first flight)

The uniform consists of this: that white polo (minsan short-sleeved or long-sleeved), white inner t-shirt (sa amin, required na round collar and the sleeves must be shorter than the polo), dark blue pants (sa amin, di siya black, so yeah), the necktie, the bars on the shoulders or epaulettes, the wings pin, the coat, the hat, the socks and shoes (sa amin, kailangan calf-length black socks na hindi kita ang skin sa legs, and flat black shoes na walang laces in fear na it will be a hindrance with the usage of the pedals a.k.a. rudders (will explain this one soon)), and of course the ID and licenses.

In our school, we don't have the necktie, and the coat and the hat. But others do, especially in the airlines. I'll focus on the very important or the trademark of us, pilots. The epaulettes, the wings or wings pin, and the licenses.

So, the epaulettes. Yung mga nasa balikat. It is easy to learn and identify. It serves like some ranking. The more bars, the higher in seniority.

One bar = student pilot (0 hours until first solo or PPL)

Two bars = Private Pilot License holder (PPL) or completed first solo (in our case)

Three bars = Commercial Pilot License holder (CPL) or First Officer (in the airlines)

Four bars = Airline Transport Pilot License holder (ATPL) or Pilot-in-Command (PIC in the airlines) or Flight Instructor (FI)

Next, the wings. Yung makikita madalas sa may left-side ng chest. A necessary accessory. Sa amin, you received the "silver wings" after your first solo, and the "gold wings" after completing CPL/IR. Flying schools and airlines has their own version of the wings.

Lastly, the necessary IDs and licenses to have in person during flight. I'll be posting a separate lesson for the licenses soon. But for now, the necessary licenses or IDs na kailangan every flight are the following:

1. Company ID

2. Airmen license issued by CAAP (Student Pilot Authorization/License, Private Pilot License, Commercial Pilot License, Airline Transport Pilot License, or Flight Instructor License)

3. National Telecommunications Commission Radio License or NTC Radio License (Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Cetificate)

4. Medical Certificate issued by CAAP (Class 1 or Class 2)

5. Airport Pass issued by the airport authority (ID or pass that allowed one access to the restricted airside of the airport)