Chapter 27

I was awoken suddenly by a familiar face. In a sleepy daze, my eyes had drifted open while shifting into a more comfortable position and who should I see in that small moment but that same brunette who seems to always be a little more than just "a bother".

"Good morn, Demmy!" TomCat greeted me while I stretched wearily. My mind was just beginning to register the world around me, but once it comprehended enough for thought, my face flushed bright red. The night before was still fresh in my mind and I couldn't look at that man without remembering the brief kiss he gave me.

"No... go away..." I muttered, covering my face as if to block the on-coming sunlight from my eyes when in reality, it was to hide my heavy blush. Tom scoffed through a cocky smirk and leaned his head on one of the steel bars, gazing at me tiredly but pleasantly.

"And why would I do that?" he wondered. I groaned and rolled away from him. He doesn't deserve to see my face at all with an attitude like his. How dare he ask why he should leave?

"Demmy," Tom called, his tone mirroring that of a parent pressuring their child for truth, "why do you want me to leave?"

"Because," I answered bluntly, keeping my back turned. Tom sighed behind me.

"Whatever then... by the way, did we run into each other last night? I vaguely remember you being around but my memories are escaping me," Tom wondered, leaning his elbows on the inside of the cage and pressing his face between the bars of the cage. There was a look of bewilderment on his face and his tone indicated that he genuinely didn't remember the night before.

I stared at him over my shoulder for a long while until I finally gave in and rolled back over to face him. I sat up and hugged my knees to my chest, "Yeah, you were laying in the ring so I came over to help you get to bed," I spoke and hoped that was the answer he needed from me.

"Did I do anything embarrassing...?" he questioned awkwardly and I felt my stomach sink.

"Uh... well, um... we got to the house... and you got to bed... and... erm... you kissed me..." I stammered, my voice was so quiet I wasn't even sure how Tom was able to still hear me. However, the moment my words sunk in, a mortified look crossed his features. It honestly made me feel a little better when I saw that expression; there was no faking the sheer level of horror that man was experiencing at that moment. It was definitely not a purposeful incident.

"Tae, I am... so sorry- I- That was not meant to happen-" he quickly tried to apologise while his face flushed red from embarrassment. I almost wanted to laugh at him because of how embarrassed he was but I couldn't because I was also embarrassed.

"Yeah, I figured you didn't mean it," I nodded. He hid his face in his hands for a brief moment before standing up and awkwardly clearing his throat.

"Well, um... thanks for the refresher... I guess-" he said in a meek voice. He refused to make eye contact and I couldn't blame him. He made an embarrassing mistake while drunk and there was no way either of us would be able to forget it. Especially not me because I was sober. I said nothing as I watched him walk away quickly with his head down.

Eventually, I couldn't help but give a small giggle as I thought over just how ridiculous this whole situation was.

...

By the time the circus opened, I had put my chains back on and I had curled up in the darkest corner of my cage to sleep away the day. As usual, the day was long and boring with only Cheetah answering the questions of guests and a child or two pointing me out to their family. It felt like an eternity before Lion finally arrived to relay the news that call time for the big show had arrived. Cheetah and I both released a huge sigh of relief and we hastily made our way to the Big Top, eager to do something interesting in the day.

Cheetah kept me out in the backyard of the Big Top so I wasn't sure what was happening before my act. But much like our many, many other shows, performers rushed to and fro, carrying props or moving animals into the Big Top. Cheetah and I sat beside each other on a wooden bench, patiently preparing for our act. I boredly swung my feet back and forth and drew random lines in the dirt with my toe while Cheetah watched, clearly having nothing else to do as well.

But at last, BeastCat finally came out and told Cheetah my part was coming up and we both made our way into the Big Top. Cheetah put my blindfold on and made sure my chains were secure.

"Please don't do anything extreme. You've been good for many weeks, I would hate to break that record," Cheetah pleaded quietly as he led me to the backstage curtain.

"I won't," I responded. We waited for a bit more, listening to the whimsical sounds of the music and our performers and waiting for my cue. At last, it came; the lights dimmed to red, the music slowed, and Tom announced my entrance in his deep, monotone voice as he always does.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls; I have for you, a mysterious sight. Some of you have seen her before, most of you haven't. Whichever the case, you all have passed by her today and saw the ominous black cage in the distance, perhaps you even paid it a visit on your journey through the Freakshow. Ladies and gentlemen, here today, is a wonder of nature, a spawn from Hell, a corrupted soul, a young girl-turned-beast... Guests of the circus! Give a round of applause for Demon! The Beast of the Nočne Mačke Circus!" TomCat announced, raising his hands into the air as Cheetah, backstage, guided me out into the middle of the ring, his hand on my back to help guide me to my mark.

The crowd went silent with anticipation while I took my mark and crouched down at Tom's feet. Cheetah held firmly to my chains and I knew a whip was at the ready although I knew he could not bring himself to use it. A stool was placed in front of me and I climbed on top of it, awaiting my next order like a trained tiger.

"For our next act, I will do something more dangerous than previous stunts. For which, I require a brave and daring guest from the audience," Tom announced, circling the barrier and looking for any willing participants. Several children eagerly raised their hands and a few daring teens raised their hands as well, not believing for a second what I was capable of; however, mothers were there to stop their children from making mistakes and I knew Tom was smart enough to look for someone smarter and older.

Eventually, the ringmaster chose someone and I grew excited to see who this courageous soul was.

"You sir! In the back, shrouded by the shadows! You'll be our lucky experiment for this evening!" Tom announced. The audience applauded for the guest and Tom's hand rested on the chain that attached to my neck clasp while we waited for the guest to join us in the ring. I was obedient and willing to participate, excited even, to perform this act.

The volunteer finally hopped over the barrier and approached us and the moment Tom got a good look at who the man was, his hand clenched around the chain on my neck. Something was wrong. Tom's very attitude changed and I felt it.

"Well... I never expected to see you here, Mr Vlamorae," TomCat mumbled quietly. I froze as the words sunk deep into my skin...