27

Chapter 27

As we walk back to Gaius' chambers I glance around making sure nobody is in hearing distance. I tug on Merlin's jacket pulling him to the side, out of sight.

"Merlin. I heard the boy as well," I tell him in an urgent whisper. Merlin looks confused.

"He spoke to you as well?"

"No." I shake my head, trying to word this right. "No, Merlin. I heard him talking to you. And I heard you respond."

"You heard him speaking to me in my mind? Do you think it has something to do with being a Vessel?"

"What else could it be?" I shrug. "The dragon said we would be connected. But how was that boy speaking to you? Does he have magic?"

"I think so. He's a druid but I've never heard of someone speaking to another telepathically."

We do as I suggested, going back to Gaius's chambers to try and get some information out of the physician. Merlin sits on a seat at the table and I take a seat on the table itself, legs dangling off the edge, the physician working on a remedy. The warlock and I look at each, both asking how we would bring the topic up casually. Eventually, I'm the one to bite it.

"So Gaius," I begin slowly. "I heard they captured a Druid in Camelot today. I don't know much about the druids, we didn't have them in my home," I finish, hoping I directed my words to encourage him to share anything he knows.

"There's not much to say about them really. They're a secretive bunch of people, even more so now that they are being hunted by Uther."

"What for?"

"Magic. They are known for practising it." He sighs, turning around to look at us. "Please tell me you two haven't gotten mixed up in all this."

"Me Gaius?" I gasp, "Never."

"You're just as bad as him!" Gaius exclaims, shoving an accusing finger at Merlin.

"Well I'm not involved so don't worry," Merlin defends.

"You're both liars," the physician retorts.

"We haven't done anything," Merlin pushes, my own mind wondering if maybe I am a terrible liar after all.

"Merlin..."

"I heard the boy calling out. He was nowhere to be seen, but I could hear him...like he was inside my mind," Merlin explains, fascinated.

"Yes, I've heard of this ability. The druids look for children with such gifts to serve as apprentices. While they're searching for this boy you must be especially careful otherwise it'll be your head on the chopping block. I don't trust Elena enough to keep you out of trouble either."

Rather than being offended, I shrug in agreement.

"We're always careful. You know us."

"Unfortunately."

Merlin and I head down into the city for Gaius, picking up supplies.

"Shouldn't you be doing this for Arthur right now?" I ask, considering it is the middle of the day.

"Yes," Merlin replies. "But he can survive without me for a day."

"But will you survive. Maybe he'll be generous and just put you in the stocks again," I tease. "You're like a reoccurring show for them."

I am expecting a witty comeback, as Merlin is full of sass but he's silent. I look at him, his concentration already taken by something else. Following his line of sight I see the royal guards poking around in a hay cart with long metal poles.