5 | Entry Two • Arrival

[Info:
  * 1600 words
  * "g'day" = "good day/hello"
  * "hooroo" = "goodbye" ]

[Info:  * 1600 words  * "g'day" = "good day/hello"   * "hooroo" = "goodbye" ]

Annabeth sniffled. "Happy birthday Percy," she whispered, blowing out the single candle placed on her blue cupcake. The warmth faded from her skin as a cold breeze blew from her spot by the sea. She dug her hands deep into the sand and bit back sobs. He left. I am alone.

An orange light sparked from the horizon as dawn rose upon the trembling girl. Long Island beach no longer felt comforting.

 Long Island beach no longer felt comforting

August 18 • Week 13

Percy never cared much for his birthday. Not since the prophecy. Not since he turned ten and Gabe spent the whole day beating and shouting slurs at his mom for ever giving birth to him. In fact, he despised his birthday.

But...this time felt different. He was on his own. And that didn't seem so bad to him.

The waters were getting much colder as he neared the Southern tip of Africa. Percy'd been traveling for over three months, but only now did he feel like he was truly living on his own terms.

Deep blues swirled together in a shattered gradient of light from the sun and various glowing creatures at the merman's depth. A few currents swept through the area, twisting the trail of bubbles behind Percy as he sped for a small outcropping in a nearby trench. Water tugged at his outstretched arms as he happily looped around and settled down on a ledge.

Dangling his tail into the abyss, Percy stared longingly down at the peaceful darkness below him. He wouldn't say he was drawn to darkness, but constantly traveling between the turbulent twilight zone and the ocean floor brought him to appreciate the simple ambience of the depths.

Percy relaxed onto the cave wall as a bloom of jellyfish rose around him. He tucked his hands behind his head and watched the mesmerizing glow cloud his vision.

I'm 21, he thought. Another milestone I thought I wouldn't reach. He smiled and let out a breathy laugh. "I made it," Percy said to himself. To think, after so much years of fighting for his life, he would traveling on his own... now that, was unbelievable.