PART ONE: The Decadence

GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN had observed the quiet planet of Rattatak through the wide overlook of his bridge. It astounded him how quiet, peaceful and malleable they all appeared in their orbits. Unaware of their inevitable fates. Clueless to the fact that a massive wave of his imperial fleet flew directly above it.

The resurgent-class star destroyer, The Finalizer, had finished its patrol sweep and nothing was amiss. In the below decks, an entire legion of his best intelligence officers, personally commanded by him, awaited his orders. Around the ship, the rest of the First Order fleet came out of hyperspace.

A high profile presence on a poorly defended backwater planet. The dustball Rattatak was just one small piece in his grand puzzle against the New Republic. 'Sometimes,' he thought, 'sacrifices were needed for the greater good.' Although Rattatak wasn't a true sacrifice at all. It was a statement.

But, that wasn't his only purpose for a seemingly uninteresting planet. Yes, he wanted to show the outer rim that the New Republic's promise didn't extend from one end of the galaxy to another; but there was a spy transporting information on his projects. It would be like killing two birds with one stone. He stood with his back facing the room as he pondered at the tan exterior of the planet. They would invade its very surface, and they would endure it.

The First Order armada was not as big as the glory days of the Empire. But, what they lacked in quantity they made up for in quality. Everything was compact and streamlined; faster and durable. The new TIE fighters were a sight to behold, nothing at all like the cheap light weight TIEs of the elder days.

Thrawn stood tall. His black boots covered the marble floor in urgent purpose. There was a certain kind of calmness and open awareness that bounced off all the officers that shared the space with him. His intense red eyes looked at his surroundings; he will succeed where the imperials have failed. That was his promise.

The soft hiss of the main bulkhead doors transported a dull roar of officers and stormtroopers at work. That's how he preferred it. Hearing the symphony of precision.
Soon after, The sensation of someone standing behind him had broken him from his inner monologue.

Thrawn turned his head in acknowledgement, already aware of who came up behind him. His glowing red eyes had narrowed back slightly, "Update me on your progress, General Hux,"

"Intelligence reports indicate a hub of Resistance activity on a village post. There is a gladiatorial combat event and festivities in the center. The spy might hide in with the locals. We are in position and fully operational to deploy TIEs and troops. We await instructions," Hux was gratified to be the bearer of good news. The young man mused and mirrored the Admiral with hands clasped at his back.

"They managed to scatter us around these systems. I expected them to gloat. Use that against them, look out for any sign of recklessness," A small smile crept on Thrawn's lips. But he soon hid it, ". . . And your opinion, General?" He calmly questioned.

"This planet knows nothing of the New Republic, nor of peace. Local warlords fight one another for personal power. It's a never-ending conflict. I say we commence with troops and shut everything down as we look for the spy," Hux continued with a cold composure, "I suggest that we shouldn't wait. Any moment longer is a chance, however slight, that they escape,"

"No," He decided, "Therein lies the key," Thrawn continued with conviction, "Send a holo to the Warlord in charge. Set in motion a diplomatic meeting to discuss our militarization's intended pursuit. A show of respect and an exchange for cooperation," the officer he spoke to responded with a resolute, yessir as she continued back on her panels.

General Armitage Hux was expressionless as an interval of stillness had implanted his entire body, a holo? "They're a lost cause Admiral, they won't listen to us. The locals are trained seasoned fighters by necessity, the only order they know is theirs,"

"So you seek to override their culture instead of understanding it? It would make sense to claim the world to the First Order. If they are fighters as you say. The public would be easier to control if they are complacent. An asset if you will, " Thrawn's voice never raised as he threatened him. He turned to face Hux. His stark white uniform opposing, but complimenting his blue Chiss skin, "Every planet we unite is a threat to the New Republic's hold on the galaxy."

"Yes, Grand Admiral," Hux had looked down from his blazing red eyes. His casual glare had overpowered any insurgence he had left. Still, he continued with his defense, "I fear it might scare the only advantage we have. Perhaps, if I may—"

"—You may follow my methods. Unless you find that it is above you?" Thrawn surveyed him with contempt.

"No, of course not Grand Admiral. I was thinking we could set out a bounty. It would certainly help on restricting his movements," Hux had watched as approval had settled on his face.

With a dismissive hand wave, he made his way towards the holo table in the center. His blue hand pointed to isolated corners of the village, "Begin operations here. Go through the city piece by piece as you surround them," he spoke to the workers on the bridge as all eyes landed on his, "Alert the public of a bounty. New Republic pilots. Any fraternization will be scrutinized,"

General Hux watched as tall Chiss turned to speak to him one last time, "Your worries are heard, General. This diplomatic mission is any but. Rattatak will accept us, wether they like it or not,"
Now at ease, Hux had signaled him with a slightly confident smirk, "Come. Let's see what else we can learn about their festivities,"

Thrawn made his way out of the bridge. His gait did not waver on his course nor objective. Smooth as he glided down the marble steps, like a slinking saber-cat. A calculated aura of a man who never second guessed himself. Hux just trailed behind him.

As they made their way down the halls of the Finalizer, towards the briefing room, Hux had spoken once more out of comfort, "We should just destroy that dustball of a planet. It would be much less time consuming. Our imperial intelligence team could locate their activity within minutes,"

"How would that look to the rest of the galaxy? The New Republic would use that over us. Is honor worth so little to you?" 

He considered Thrawn's words. Had he guessed wrong? "My duty is to fight for the First Order. With every ounce of will that I have and every recourse at my disposal. It is my oath to work under your allegiance and militaristic genius,"

"I do not require glory, only success,"

Hux responded a resolute but dejected nod. Thrawn pressed even further, not pleased with his answer.

"It is imperative that you understand. I need someone who sees the bigger picture. No one can control the whole galaxy, its impossible. But, influence goes a long way,"

"I understand very well Grand Admiral, forgive my impudence. I seem to have too many negative memories from outer-rim filth. Their simple minds seem to only follow the strongest. In my experience, they work to what benefits them. I guess it must take someone of your intellect to find some common ground—"

Thrawn had lashed out it uncontrolled anger. He took a step and his massive shadow had hovered over General Hux. He cowered from him slightly but held his ground as Thrawn forcefully grabbed his coat lapels in a deadly grip. An intense snarl hissing on his face.

Realizing what he had done, Thrawn froze. He stood with his back straight and unclenched his fist. Then he reached out slowly with a relaxed gesture, he placed his hands on the general's shoulders, smoothing out any wrinkles, "It's now my turn to apologize, General Hux. I forget not everyone has my temperament,"

His voice was now soft. A seductive whisper.

"It's not enough to be strong. In order to be great, we must look beyond what we consider familiar. We must know our galaxy like we know ourselves. Just remember, we are not the Empire. . . we are better. The New Republic thinks that they have us on a string, let us play their game. . ."