Autumn's Fire: Chapter 14

!!PG-13 Sexually suggestive content!!

I slept twenty hours that night and woke up just before noon the next day. I did my best to get through my morning routine without thinking too much, but there were times when I had to stop to shake the depressed thoughts from my head. I did manage to finish getting dressed and eat breakfast, but it took about an hour, much longer than usual. I sat at the kitchen table, dazed and drowning, when the thought occurred to me to go talk to Thali. Thali always knew what to do in situations like these, and I felt that maybe I could breathe again for a while if I went to see her. So, I grabbed my satchel and went across the street to her farm.

Thali was having a break for lunch after helping Os'Nys with the daily chores and sat outside on the step staring up at the clouds. I smiled earnestly and jogged up to her once I saw her, but for some reason she gave me a smile in return that felt...off.

"Hey, can we talk for a bit?" I asked as I reached her.

She smiled again and scooted over on the step so I would have room to sit.

"Thanks," I said and sat down next to her. Then, placing my head on her shoulder I sighed, "So, something happened with Chriol, and I don't know what to do." Thali placed a gentle hand on my leg as though encouraging me to continue, and I smiled sadly, holding back tears. "I don't really know where to start, but in general, when it comes to...stuff, Chriol keeps pushing things forward, but I don't think I like it. I mean...I love him, but-" I was explaining, but suddenly got cut off by Thali leaning back away from me and scoffing. I looked up at her, confused and hurt, but saw only indignation on her face.

"You love him? Pfft, yeah ok. Sure, you do," she started, standing up in her anger. "You know what love is? What Jeril and I had. And you know who RUINED that? You!" she yelled, getting closer to my face before backing off in fuming rage. "I can't believe I thought you had come to apologize," she scoffed.

"W-what?" I managed to say but couldn't make any other words come out.

"My mom heard about what happened with you and the twins from someone, and she MADE ME BREAK UP WITH HIM! I can't BELIEVE you, Autumn! I mean, really, you're already a freak. You don't have to be a bitch too." She spat her venom-laced words at me, and I recoiled instinctively, tears welling up and spilling from my eyes.

"I-I, I-I didn't, I-" I sputtered through an ever-tightening throat, now backing away from her.

"I, I, I!" Thali mocked my stutter. "God you're such a freak! Just GO already!" she screamed and pushed me hard.

I had already turned halfway when she shoved me, so it only served to give me a running start to running away rather than knocking me from my feet. I couldn't go very fast with my limp, though, as my bones were still extremely sore from the day before.

My first thought was to go to the willow, but I doubted that I could limp that far, so I decided it would be better to go back home and sleep for as long as possible. One good quality I always had was that, if I wanted to, I could fall asleep anywhere, anytime; no matter how wide-awake I was. This had gotten me out of several unwanted dinner parties or arguments in the past, and I always found myself falling back on it when I didn't feel like dealing with the world.

So, I went to hide in my room and gently closed the door behind me. Then, in the dark of the room, my only light coming from the cracks in the door, I got undressed, and changed into my nightgown. I could've worn my regular clothes, but I had decided against it since I had already done so the night before. Plus, my nightgown made me feel comfier and more at home, which would help with the panic and dark thoughts that surged through me. Finally, I curled up under the covers, and slept for as long as I could.