Chapter Nineteen: Here

"Yes, I know...yeah." Levi paused just before he could flush the toilet.

Someone had just walked in.

"I did. Don't know if she saw it yet." There was a long silence afterwards. Only the tiny chatter from what sounded like the speaker of a phone echoed quietly against the four walls of the banquet hall's men's washroom.

Levi wasn't one to eavesdrop. In fact, he usually cared less about the weird shit people said to his face—Hange being a prime example. But there was something about the voice of this man that he recognized—not the person on the line—the man on the phone.

"Yeah...I get it. No need to rub it in...geez." Levi stood quietly and unmoving. He crinkled his nose in disgust at the sound of unbuckling pants, followed by the 'pssst' sound of urination.

How the fuck is he really taking a piss while on the phone? Levi thought with a roll of his eyes. Not only was that incredibly unhygienic, but it was rude.

And Levi knew a thing or two about being rude.

"I'll honour him—watch. That money's gonna be mine...I don't fucking care. Besides, the job's kinda fun." Once more, the buckling of a belt sounded before flushing of a urinal. Levi couldn't understand why he wasn't already bored of waiting in a nasty, smelly-ass washroom stall while listening to a one-sided conversation about some desperate that wanted to steal someone's money. The longer he waited, the greater the chance of you running into some rich brat would be.

And he didn't hate you enough to let that happen to you.

"Can I call you back? Someone else is calling. Thanks."

But that voice sounded familiar. It was probably one of Kenny's business investors or clients. Levi did not have the strength, nor the will to face an affiliate of Kenny. He was sure he'd be recognized.

The first and last time Levi had been to one of Kenny's banquets, he ended up being forced to talk to every single damn person in the room about shit he didn't know about; Colossal Industries, the stock market...

Shit like that.

That night had gotten him so angry, he'd almost considered walking home until he found a crumpled five-dollar bill in his jacket pocket. It was enough to cover a bus fare home.

"...how's it going?" Levi blinked himself out of his thoughts. He'd missed the first part of the conversation. "Oh, uh...good. Yeah, I'm fine. Just...at home." Levi nearly let out a snort. He wondered who the unfortunate soul on the other end might've been. A significant other? Perhaps. But Levi wasn't surprised.

Most of Kenny's "friends", much like the man himself, were pathological liars with egos bigger than their wallets.

Levi, incredibly impatient and exhausted from listening to the egotistical-phone-talker, raised his foot to press against the toilet lever.

'Flooshhh'. Levi sincerely hoped the person on the other end of the line heard that.

"Shit..." muttered the Phone Man as the sound of his dress shoes pattered against the tile flooring of the bathroom. He was finally leaving. "Oh, uh, nothing..."

And then, he was gone.

"Good riddance," Levi muttered under his breath before stepping out of the stall. He clicked his tongue in disgust. "Idiot didn't even wash his hands."

~

"Shadis! There you are!" You nearly groaned once you recognized the raspy, rugged and drunken voice of Kenny Ackerman. You thought you'd only have to see him once tonight.