8 : Letters filled with Tears

Chelona's face was glowing golden as she witnessed the pyre go ablaze before her eyes, burning her sister and father to ashes. Asterin's arm was still wrapped around her shoulder, trying to console her. It worked- to an extent. 

Fenrys Moonbeam stood silent and brooding behind the pair of them. She felt strange, just his presence made her feel that way. 

About as soon as the funeral had started, it had come to an end. Chelona clutched at the package with their clothes like a lifeline. She stared at the pyre until her only blood were naught but ashes on the ground. By the time her tears dried on her face, only the Moonbeams, the Mavros and her royal court remained there.

There was Dagen, holding their fiery banner high, fluttering with the dark black of the Mavro's and the silver of the Moonbeams. Lord Eddard, looking more solemn than ever in his mourning attire. There were Fintan and Wren standing side by side, watching her. There was Laura too, behind the royals and high rankers, just standing.

"Sweetling, let us go back to the castle, shall we? We have matters to discuss of," said Asterin, a low voice.

Again, she only nodded, wondering what matters would there be.

They made their way to the Black Castle in silence. Its looming stature cast a long shadow in the evening sun. It seemed so dark and evil from the outside, she realised, like a witch's lair.

Her father used to say that there were witches and angels and dragons, so long ago that they were reduced to the fine powder of myths by that time. She and Astrea had been awed, and unbelieving. Now, she could just do with anything to get her mind off things.

She pushed her blatant, vague and unfinished thoughts out of her head and tried to focus. It felt like her brain had been turned into a a large mushy swamp, drowning her thoughts. 

She heard Asterin and Uma converse in low, whispery tones. They were two women of completely different perspectives. Warrior and lady, dark and light, still they seemed to be getting along fine. Laura was following far behind. Fintan and Wren were beside her. After what felt like hours, they stood inside the throne room, from which all chambers could be accessed. 

"Lords and Ladies, Your Grace, here I take your leave, please do make yourself comfortable. We will discuss at sundown, during dinner," Chelona managed to say. Her throat choked up all over again, and Rhea and Asterin both gave her concerned glances. 

She walked out without another word, Fintan, Wren and Laura following close behind.

Laura was on laundry duty, she had said, so she went off for her duties midway. After that it was just the three of them. They made it to her bedchamber without any tears, and surprisingly, both of them followed her inside.

As soon as the doors shut behind them, Wren threw her arms around her and hugged her tight. It caught Chelona off guard but she hugged her back nonetheless.