11 : Of Feasts and of Loneliness

One day to go.

The days were going much faster than she'd wanted or anticipated. Her hands along with so many others in the castle were decorated in the beautiful brown swirls and patterns of the henna. The dresses had been selected and hung in the closets, colour coordinated and freshly made. She doubted whether she would ever wear any of them again. 

Fenrys it seemed, wasn't as bad as she'd thought. He talked to her unceasingly throughout the very tedious workouts of tasting and paintings and several others. They laughed and talked and she realised, that she was warming up to him. She realised, that she wouldn't mind spending time with him. But marrying him was just another matter.

Chelona could see that he too was trying his hardest to get to know her as she was. She was afraid that he would succeed in that and then dislike her. She was no Astrea, and if he ever loved her, then she doubted he would even tolerate her. She was afraid her queen/ princess act would falter. She was rude and an upstart. But then she could only be herself in front of Astrea, so had she lost herself too?

Laura shook her. Chelona blinked and looked at her, raising her eyebrows. She gave her a short, knowing laugh and shook her head. 

"Hey Laura," she said, "have you ever... Been in love?"

She laughed again. "Doubting your fiancé already, Chelona?"

Chelona smiled thinly, she had no idea on whether she liked Fenrys or not. She had a fair idea over how much he liked her, though. She had realised that he had walls around him, and she respected them. She had her boundaries too, and her limits. But as long as his walls stood, she didn't know if she could trust him. She did like him, but the feeling was completely platonic. No romantic feelings involved. She may have found him attractive, but that didn't mean anything.

Looking at the expression on Chelona's face, the smile was wiped off Laura's face. 

"Chelona... I understand its going to be hard, but there's something I want you to know. Do not trust everyone. We still haven't found Astrea's murderer. Vigilance is necessary."

Chelona nodded, there was truth in her words, although, there was something laced in her voice. Something she couldn't put her finger on. She smiled anyways. "Wow Laura. I'll come to you for life advice."

A weak smile played on her lips. "I believe Lord Eddard will suffice for that position of advice giving."

Chelona wondered who actually felt the pain she did whenever Astrea's name came up

Chelona wondered who actually felt the pain she did whenever Astrea's name came up. She'd met so many people since the announcement of her wedding and the finalisation of the date. So many had come up to her, giving hugs and words of comfort that failed to reach her. Surely many must have meant well, but then it didn't manage to make her feel any better.

They'd always been and would always be nobility. Always a step ahead of wherever their public stood. Always out of the harms way, keeping their heads out of the water. The people only knew them for their title of ruler. As their saviour or their leader, sometimes. Many detested them, others worshipped them. But never had they ever been on the same wavelength. And unless there was an absurd identity crisis, they would never be.