4 : Lady of Death

Chelona stared at Laura for an entire minute. Not daring to move or breathe. Looking at her utter lack of reaction, she repeated herself, this time with large tears slithering their way from her eyes to the bottom of her chin.

"Please, my lady. You need to come with me."

Fenrys Moonbeam got up and helped Chelona from her chair. Laura eyed him with a hint of mistrust. Chelona couldn't think. What was happening? And why? and how? She shook herself mentally. She was a princess, a hostess, she had to be composed. She cleared her throat and said, "Lead the way."

She, Laura and the prince snaked through corridors. She was leading them to Chelona's father's chambers first. In no time they had arrived pushing through the long doors of his chambers. 

They were humongous, his chambers. Chelona had been there on hardly any occasions, they had never felt the need of it. He was lying on his large bed, she could see that through the drawn curtains.

She moved forwards, as if in a daze. Her feet moved on their own accord, as her mind was devoid of any thought, emotion or feeling. She pushed aside the curtains.

He looked peaceful in sleep. A face void of any emotion yet so very peaceful. He looked as though he wouldn't want to wake from such a peaceful sleep, and, Chelona wondered, who would have the heart to wake him up when he looked so at peace.

"Wake up. Wake up, father. Please."

But he wouldn't. Couldn't. His chest wasn't moving. He wasn't breathing. He was gone. Her heart stopped, her breaths hitched. And then a thought struck. Astrea. 

She turned, pushed through Fenrys and Laura and ran. Ran to Astrea's chambers. Her heart thundering, her mind blank. Only a small prayer repeating itself in the back of her mind, please be okay. I need you.

She feet ached, Astrea's chambers were far off from all of theirs, secluded, silent. She ignored her own pleas for pausing, even for a single breath.

I need you. I need you. I need you. Please.

The distorted image of her fathers face haunted her thoughts. She could see him laying on the bed, not moving, not breathing. Her breath heaved. Her feet ached. She could hear Laura and Fenrys calling after her, she didn't care.

Please be okay. I need you.

She paused in front of the closed doors of her chambers. She took a deep breath and pushed them open. 

The curtains of her bed too, were drawn but this time, Chelona was afraid. Afraid of what she would find there. Laura and Fenrys were behind her, their breaths heaving. Chelona moved her aching feet. She extended her hand and drew back the fabric, hoping. 

It was so much worse. It looked like she had put up a fight. Her body was mangled, arms bent in strange angles and bloodied. There were several stab wounds decorating her small frame. The silk sheets of her bed were hard with dried blood, her hair too was caked with it. 

I need you. Please. Don't go.

 The weight of it settled onto Chelona. She collapsed on her knees.

And screamed.