Chapter One: Everything Matters

"GO AWAY, MIKE," Kat whined, shoving the receiver into her pillows to block out the noise.

"But do you have them?" Mike pressed. Cameron's laughter echoed through the phone.

"Hold on for a few, I'm busy," Kat rolled her eyes, adjusting her position sprawled over her blankets. Her school bag sat leaned up a few feet away against the closet, half-filled with school supplies. Kat lay on her bed fully dressed in her typical school clothes.

"I need the painkillers, now!" Mike said louder, twisting her door handle to the right, so if she got up and attempted to bolt it, it wouldn't lock in place.

"Do I look like have painkillers in my room?" She said, her voice raising to match his.

"You're a girl, duh! You obviously have them!"

Kat huffed, and reached into the open drawers under her desk. She took out a tin of aspirin and threw it at Mike's face, taking the opportunity where he flinched to slam the door.

"Not so loud!" Nancy's voice came echoing to her left.

Nancy and Kat shared a closet, so their rooms were barely seperated. Thus, they had to be ultra-quiet, for the very likely possibility that Nancy was calling Steve or Kat was calling Cameron or Monique (or just the possibility that one of them was in a bad mood).

"Screw Steve!" Kat said loudly in return, just to piss her off as she picked up the phone once more.

"I hope that wasn't a to-do list," Cameron said smugly, his voice matched with the sizzling of bacon as he made breakfast at his house.

"Ew, no," Kat said, "That's Nancy's type,"

"Speaking of love," Kat could hear Cameron set the table. "Denise Farer and Benjamin Johns,"

"What?" Kat wrinkled her nose as she straightened her school outfit, prepping her bag for classes. "They're gonna last two week, max."

"That's what I said, too," Cameron tsked disapprovingly. "A disgrace to Hawkins High,"

Kat and Cameron's friendship was based off of the romantic drama of high school. During freshman year while everyone else was talking about getting with somebody, Kat and Cameron bonded over their absence in such affairs. Although Kat could see the general appeal of romance, the rave that puberty caused at Hawkins High disgusted her. And as far as she knew, Cameron felt the same. Still, that didn't stop them from partaking in the judgement and gossip of day-to-day life.

"Anyways, I gotta go now. I'll meet you outside your door in half an hour," Kat said, cramming her Biology homework into her tote bag.

Cameron mumbled an incoherent goodbye, and Kat placed the receiver down.