Chapter 6: Treat your wife well

Chapter 6

Thursday came faster than Karla expected. Christian has texted her that he will pick her up around 4PM. Waiting for his arrival, Karla laze around the house. She felt slightly tired after her morning shift.

[I'm outside] Christian sends a text.

Karla took her bag and fixed her wavy hair slightly before heading out. She hasn't met him again since the day they made their contact official. Instead of waiting inside the car, Christian actually leans near the passenger door.

"Hey..." Karla greeted him. Feeling slightly awkward as he opened the car door for her. To think he actually acts like a gentleman surprises her.

'But it felt good'

She smiled to Christian and thanked him. "No problem," he said, and got into the car. Fortunately, the drive was short. None of them start a conversation. Once Christian parked in front of the hospital, Karla felt a bit relieved. For some reason, it felt a bit suffocating to be with Christian in a small space.

"If you keep walking like that, we're going to be late Karla," Christian said.

Karla looks ahead and realizes they are a couple of steps away. She sped up her pace. Just around the corner, a man appeared and sprinted through the hospital corridor. He's running so fast and almost making Karla fall flat on her face. Luckily, Chris grabbed my waist before she fell.

Christian cursed at the guy for running in the corridor then checked Karla conditions, "Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

"I'm fine. Thanks," she muttered, trying to wiggling out from his hands.

He chuckled at Karla's attempt to escape him. Christian then releases her only to hold her hand tightly. Startled by the gesture, her eyes snapped at him. "I don't want you to fall. It might hurt the baby," he shrugged his shoulder, looking slightly embarrassed.

Karla cleared her throat as she felt her face become slightly warm. But she never let go of the hand. They walked through the crowd hand in hand. Karla looked at their linked hands.

'My hand looked so tiny in his', she thought.

"We're here," he said, grabbing Karla's attention.

They enter the room and are immediately greeted by the doctor. "So, is this your first child?" he asked us.

"Yes," Christian answered.

"Ah! Then you must take good care of your wife. The mother's emotions and health are crucial. It affects the growth of the baby greatly," the doctor said.

Karla blushed at the thought people think of her and Christian as husband and wife. Her embarrassment died soon once she saw Christian face. He looked uncomfortable. Feeling a bit disappointed, Karla shaked of the feeling.

'It's only natural if he's uncomfortable. After all our relationship is strictly a contract' Karla told herself.

Not aware of his misunderstanding, the doctor keeps explaining about pregnancy and what should Christian know as a husband. After a while, he stopped talking to Christian and asked Karla about the pregnancy progress.

Karla told him that sometimes nausea and lost her appetite, but other than that there are no other signs. They exchange a couple of informations to fully understand Karla's condition.

"You have to make sure your wife gets proper nutrition. For a pregnant woman, she's really thin. I'm going to give some vitamins and make sure to make another appointment in two weeks," the doctor said.

They left the consultation room and got the prescribed medications. As they walk, Christian holds her hand again.

"Have you eaten?" he asked.

Honestly, Karla hasn't eat anything for lunch. Only a glass of milk and some crackers in the morning. "I ate a little," she said.

Christian sighed and opened the car door for her. She slipped in and waited for him to do the same. After both of them wear their seat belt, Christian starts the engine.

"We are going to eat first. Is that okay?" he asked Karla.

"I can eat later," she told him.

"I'm supposed to take care of you while you're pregnant, remember? The doctor said you're too thin for a pregnant woman. So no buts, we're going to eat first before I drop you off," he said firmly.

Karla just shut her mouth and pursed her lips.

A moment later, Christian stopped his car in front of a fancy restaurant. They sat on a table for two people near the window. Karla looks through the menu but they are in French. So she had no idea what to order.

"Are you ready to order, sir?" the waiter asked Christian politely.

He ordered food and drinks for both of us. The waiter wrote down the order and Karla felt relieved because Christian had ordered her food.

They sat in silence and busy with their own thoughts until Christian broke the silence. "What did your parents say about your pregnancy?" he asked. Karla raised her head and looked him right in the eyes. She hadn't expected him to ask her that question.

"They didn't know that I'm pregnant", Karla answered shortly.

Chris looked surprised with her answer but quickly composed his facial expression. "How come they didn't know?" he carefully asked.

Karla shrugged her shoulder, "I haven't seen them for a while, actually"

Christian looked at her with eyes full of curiosity. Karla knows he wanted to ask more questions about her family. But before he could say anything, a waiter came and served their food. Karla deliberately cut her steak quickly and put it in her mouth. Preventing Chris to ask further questions.

She took her time chewing the meat. Appreciating the juicy meat in her mouth. As they ate, they started to do small talk to get to know each other.

"Did you take a day off?" Christian asked. Karla just nods her head and keeps eating.

"Where are you working at?" he asked again.

"Restaurant," she answered him.

"As?" he sounded a bit surprised as he asked Karla curiously.

"A chef. But I'm going to send my job application to another restaurant since the restaurant I'm working at is going to close next month,"

"Don't!" Christian practically yelled.

Karla raised her eyebrow, asking for explanation.

"You don't have to work. I'm going to take care of you"

"For someone who once asked me if abortion is an option, you care a lot about the baby," Karla said, a bit annoyed that Christian ask her not to work.

"I don't. But my mother does," he answered coldly, making her flinch.

After that, they didn't talk at all. Christian pays the bill and drives her home.

Is she pissed at him?

You have no idea.