Away From Home | Chapter 4

Linda packed her suitcase, she was leaving today. She hadn't left Jorvik in years and now she was leaving. She wondered what her parents would be like, if they'd changed, maybe they would respect her more. But it was only a week, she wished she could bring her cat Misty, but decided to let Lisa watch her while she was gone. Then Meteor, she sighed. She was gonna go see him before she left. The girls said they would check in on him everyday, but they all were quite busy for the week, so a check in was the most they could do. 

Once Linda arrived at the stable she fed Meteor a bunch of carrots and then gave him a kiss on the forehead. "Promise me you'll stay safe, I will be back in a week." She whispered to him. He whinnied as she walked away. As she was exciting she saw the new girl in the ring, Nicole. She was cantering around the ring, when she saw Linda she stopped and walked her horse over to her. 

"Your looking good!" Linda said.

"Yeah, I feel more comfortable in the saddle now," she eyed Linda's suitcase. "Leaving?"

"Yeah, going to see my parents," a sudden thought came to Linda. "I'm going to be gone for a week, if you want you could ride Meteor while I'm gone. He is going to need some exercise."

Nicole looked thrilled, "would you mind if I went trail riding with him?" 

"Not at all."

"Oh and if you see girls checking in on him from time to time those are just my friends." Linda smiled. 

Nicole gave her a thumbs up and went back to the ring. 

Okay at least that was worked out. Linda's aunt pulled up, with one last look at Meteor, Linda left.

><

Nicole decided to try riding Meteor, he was a beautiful horse with a brown body and a white mane. You could tell he was well taken care of. She had his tack, and grooming supplies. She decided to groom him first, then she proceded to tack him up. Once mounted, she took him into the ring for one lap just to get used to his movements and then led him out to find a trail. 

She decided to explore a bit and soon she found herself on lush fields, the sun was out and the birds were singing. She closed her eyes as Meteor walked on, but then he stopped. She opened her eyes and squeezed with her legs but he wouldn't move. How was she supposed to get him back if he decided to just stop. She saw where Meteor was looking and looked out across the field. 

A weird black thing was out there, a predator? Maybe a wolf or bear. Nicole decided it would be best if they headed back. She started steering Meteor away, to head back. But she couldn't look away from this creature. It was like it was gliding effortlessly across the field. Then it started coming towards them, Nicole got a bad feeling and urged Meteor on. The creature was coming at them with increasing speed. 

Suddenly a girl on horse back burst through the trees towards the black creature. She was running right at it, Nicole was wondering what she was doing.

 An unexpected flash of light burst from her hand and striked the creature, it lost its focus on Nicole and started gliding away towards the other girl. 

The girl circled around and struck it again with another burst of light, the creature exploded into ashes.

Nicole stopped, what had she just witnessed, she had to be dreaming. The girl was now running towards her. With mounting fear Nicole made Meteor start running, Galloping, with everything in her she hung on. But the mystery girl was gaining on them, finally they were running side by side and Nicole stopped, at least she died trying to get away she thought.  

She stopped and closed her eyes, but she didn't feel anything. Maybe in death you feel no pain. 

"UHHHH, HELLLO!" 

Nicole opened her eyes and saw mystery girl staring at her. "I just saved you, the least you could do is thank me, not pretend I don't exist." The girl said. Her horse snorted.

Nicole stuttered, "wha- wha- what was that! What happened!" 

"Maybe you should come with me, I will explain it on the wa-." She cut herself off looking at the horse Nicole was riding. "That's Linda's horse!"

"oh, yeah, um, she said I could ride it before she left." 

"Oh your that new girl she told me about, okay, you better hope that's true." 

Nicole nodded.

"Okay then follow me, no need in telling you that everything you saw was fake. Oh, and I'm Alex by the way." Nicole and Meteor started following Alex, Nicole felt that she was being truthful and wanted to hear what she had to say.

"So, what did you do to that creature."

"I sent it back to Pandoria, It's a shadow creature they don't belong here, your lucky I was there, you would have been dead meat." Alex replied.

"Where's Pandoria? Is it like a city or Island?" Nicole asked.

"Nope, it's another dimension." Alex said flatly.

"Ummm, what? Okay so then what did you do?"

"I zapped it." Alex said flatly, again.

"So your telling me, you have magical powers?"

"Precisly."