Chapter 3 - Lily

Leo introduces Jordi and Dash to each other. Dash nods at Jordi.

"Hey," Jordi says.

Dash looks over at me, greeting me. I say hi back to him and follow after the three boys as they walk/roll out of the elevator.

"Since when did you get a new roommate?" Dash questions. "If anybody should move into the Swamp, it should be me."

"Well, he's alone," Leo answers.

"What is this? The Big Brother Program?"

"Dash, don't be rude," I retort, shooting a glare at him. "Jordi's really nice."

"Thanks, Lilly," Jordi says.

I smile down at him and nod. "Anytime, Jordi."

He returns the smile and then looks back in front of him as he rounds a corner, entering the glass-walled hallway that leads to Reuben's home.

"Where are we going?" he asks.

"To eat lunch with Ruben Garcia," Leo says.

"He lives here 'cause he's gonna leave all his money to the hospital when he dies," I explain.

"He's a rich hippie," Leo adds. "Not a stoner.

"Eh, Ruben just says that to set a good example," Dash cuts in.

"Yeah, definitely both," Leo says.

"What's he got?" Jordi asks.

"Nothing," I butt in.

"He's a hypochondriac," Leo clarifies.

We eventually reach Ruben's room where I knock on the door and give the man a hug.

"Hey, Lilly-bug," Ruben says, using his nickname for me. "Surprised to see you here, considering your condition."

"Leo said I shouldn't have come because of my condition, but here I am," I reply.

"Leo, just because this girl has an eating disorder doesn't mean she can't come by and see me," Ruben scolds, though his tone holds amusement.

I look over at Leo and stick my tongue out at him like a little kid, which earns a quiet laugh from Jordi.

Ruben gestures to Jordi. "Who's this kid?"

I straighten up and looking down at him. "Ruben, meet Jordi, Leo's new roommate. Jordi, this is Ruben."

"Hi," Jordi says shyly.

"Hey," the old man says. There's a silence before he speaks again. "One of the nurses just brought up my lunch. Care to join me? Lilly, I'm expecting you to eat something, too."

"Whatever," I say.

Ruben leads us into his main area where there are cushioned seats and a coffee table with bowls of food. We get settled in and begin to eat; well, except me. Ruben wraps one of the blood pressure things around his arm and squeezes the little air pocket at the end of the tube to take his blood pressure.

He glances up at Jordi several times before speaking. "Is that your last meal before surgery?"

Jordi looks up from his platter of food. "Yeah. Yeah, I guess so."

"You can't go out with a whimper," Ruben says.

"Ruben, no. Don't bring this up," I groan. Jordi glances over at me.

"Shh, Lilly. I wanna see where he goes with this," Leo interjects with a mouth full of food.

"You-You gotta go out with a serious bang," Ruben continues. "Hey, Leo. You gotta give him a party tonight. Say goodbye to his leg."