Chapter 1

Introduction

Ever since Alison disappeared the town has never been the same. Ali used to rule Rosewood but now that she's gone nothing is the same. That is until one night everything did change, leaving her clique damaged. Spencer, Hanna, Aria, and Emily get wrapped up in her disappearance. The liars were following a lead on the disappearance of their ring leader. They found some old notes that Ali had written about; she talked about an old church in the middle of nowhere; she used to go there all the time to escape herself, according to her. And that is where our story begins.

Emily's POV

"Are we sure about this? Why don't we come back in the morning?" I asked worried. It was the dead of night and we were all going to an abandoned church, that Ali definitely wasn't going to be in.

"What else do we have? Do you need to wait in the car?" Spencer snapped.

"No, I'm just saying it's one am and churches are creepy enough as it is, especially abandoned ones," I replied.

"It's not like we're in high school Em," Spencer said.

"Em's right, what if something happens? All of our parents think we're sleeping over at your house, what if they can't find us?" Hanna mentioned.

"Will you get over yourself?" Spencer said.

"Can we just get this over with?" Aria interrupted. We got out of the car and started to approach the church.

"What are we even supposed to be looking for?" I asked.

"Anything, this could lead us closer to Ali,"

The deathly silent night freaked me out. We turned on our flashlights as we got closer. It looked old, the wood was run down and the windows were boarded up. Spencer approached the door and opened it. It was dark except for places where the moon shone in. I was grateful for our flashlights. We walked in. It was pretty empty except for random debris scattered everywhere.

"Let's split up," Spencer suggested.

"Are you kidding?" Hanna said.

"No, Hanna let's take the chapel. Aria and Em search the gym," Spencer said.

"If we die it's on you," I said.

"I'll take that bet," she said.

We went our separate ways, I made sure to keep Aria close. It was bad enough we split up. I shone my flashlight on the walls, they were covered in mold and water stains. I also saw a picture of Mary the virgin.

"God this place is creepy," Aria whispered to me.

The floor of the gym looked like it has been torn apart. And a hoop for basketball had fallen damaging the floor.

"Why would Ali come here?" I asked.

"Em..." Aria said.

"What?" I asked. I turned to her. She looked like she'd seen a ghost. I followed where she was shining the flashlight. There was blood on the wall, and it didn't look old. My heart started to race, shocked at what I saw.

"We need to go," I said. A scream came from somewhere in the church.

"Spencer! Hanna!" I yelled. I grabbed Aria's arm and ran back to where we came, before I was knocked to the ground by something I couldn't see. The flashlight flew out of my hand and rolled nowhere near me to grab. I screamed and so did Aria. I got up to my feet and tried to run. It was so dark it made it impossible. I got to my feet again but was abruptly knocked back down. What was happening? I felt something on me. A presence of some sort.