Chapter 45

Great, I think that is all the stuff I need. I did over pack but I did not want to have to regret not taking a good amount of stuff when we get to wherever we are going. Haze said it was a surprise and I'd know it when we get there. This shows how much I trust Haze, hell I trust him with my life. It was pretty early in the morning, 3AM, he said it was pretty far and ge wanted us to get there pretty early, so that we can have more time exploring the sights.

I heard a honk outside and got out of the house with my three bags. I'm surprised my mom agreed to this, Haze has a card that actually works on my mom up his sleeve and I want in on the secret because there are some things that I have asked my mom for but she always chooses to ignore me. He was parked in the driveway and had already opened the trunk for me, he only had a duffle bag as luggage...boys and packing so little of stuff.

I threw my luggage in and went to say goodbye to my family. I told Will about the trip when I got the news of the trip, as well as Char. She sounded happy for me over the phone but age felt sad that it was so sudden and we had to cancel our day at the beach. But I guess she understood.

" Now Hazy boy since you wont tell me where we are headed to, step on it, curiosity is killing me " I turned in my seat to look at him behind the steering wheel. As he was about to start the car, another car blocked him from reversing. Okay, what is happening?

A man resorted from the car and came to my window. He looked cocky and serious. I have sen him before and his face is harder than it was when I last saw him, in blue uniform and a shiny badge resting on his hips. He knew he had authority and that explains why he walks chest out. He had grown a faint mustache and that made him look older than he looks, because last time when we were at the hospital he had the face of a fifth grader.

I looked at Haze with a questioning look, was he wrong about Bryce placing charges on him? I can't afford to lose him so soon. I'll find Bryce and talk to him and try to convince him to not lay charges. Was this his way of getting revenge? He shouldn't even be thinking about that because he landed me in the hospital, technically...but either way I did him a favour for not lying and landing his butt in jail because that is what he deserved after all the things I had been through because of his petty ass. Haze gave me a look of confusion and then when he finally read my questioning look, his eyes widened.  I swallowed a huge lump in my throat and looked back at officer Graham.

"Well, hello there. You going out of town? Isn't it too early in the morning for a trip?" He said it in an accusing tone as if we were running from something.

" No, well...yes. But we aren't running away or anything." I said with a nervous laugh. Awkward.

" You sound defensive over something I haven't said yet. Anyways folks, I'm just here to ask you one question only; when last did you see Bryce Hudgens?"

Hudgens? When did he change his surname? I guess his parents finally went through with the divorce. Maybe that is why he always looked tired, because he was having a hard time dealing with his parent's divorce. He was going through a lot and that triggered his rage. I don't pay attention at all, do I? When we were dating  his parents were going through a rough patch but they tried to keep it together for the sake of Bryce well, at least his mother was the one trying to keep it together. She and Bryce knew the marriage was toxic but she believed that Bryce should not grow up without a father  so she put up with the yelling for a long time and I think recently she finally had been fed up with her husband and broke it off. No doubt, Bryce loved his mom more than his dad because she had worked harder than his father did to provide for him and only felt that it's right to honor her by taking her surname instead of building his father's legacy, which was understandable. When we talked before the dry cleaners saga, I should have asked about it but it never even hit me.

" Ms Knight and Mr Reed? You have any difficulty answering the question?" I snapped out of it and got dragged back into reality.

" Uhm, at the party...Mandy's party." I said.

" Me too, officer." Haze said. Why was the officer concerned about Bryce's whereabouts?

" What? Did he run away from home?" I imagined he did concerning the fact that bricks were falling on him during this time.

" Yeah well, we thought that at first when his mother reported him missing but, we were wrong. His body was found a few houses down where you guys were partying...in one of the sewers."

My heart winked to my boots. He has to be joking, but he wasn't, his face was stern. As much as I did not like the guy, I cared for him at some point. And how did he end up in the sewers? He couldn't have jumped into it, he was murdered. I looked at Haze and he showed empathy towards me, he was sad that I was hurt,not that Bryce was dead.

" Please stay put in Burmount, don't go out of town. Investigations are pending." Not leaving town meant we had to cancel our trip and that we..

" Are we suspects officer?" I asked in a low voice hoping he would say no, but he didn't.

" Everyone at that party is a suspect." What? I- I can't believe this. "  You will be brought in for questioning ma'am. So I suggest we head back to the station for some questioning.

I wiped my tears and started to see how serious this was. I would need a lawyer. I dont need one because I am if course not guilty. But I know my mom will disagree and will forcefully get a lawyer for me, or even become my lawyer. Haze was silent in the car. The officer went back into his car and waited for us to follow him. I got put of the car and went into the house to tell my mom about the chaos that was taking place. My watch read, 3: 50Am, it's still pretty early. I knocked o her bedroom door and a lazy " Come in" responded to the knock. I flashed her light on and bursted the words out.

" Bryce is dead...he went missing first and then they found his body in a sewer. And I am a suspect mom!" I was now sobbing and crying uncontrollably.

Maybe if I had let him talk to me, he wouldn't have left early and got killed by who ever did this to him or maybe if I hadn't got a restraining order for him he would have coped better with his situations, I added onto his stress. I am a horrible person.

" Honey? It's okay, I'll represent you. I know you could never do such. Where is Haze?"

"He is in the car mom, he is also a suspect in the case. Please find a lawyer for him."

" I will honey, let me make a phone call and I will be down in a minute."

I went back to the car, Haze was still frozen behind the steering wheel. I hopped in the car and few minutes later, my mom started her car.

We were off to the police station to get rattled with questions.