𝟷𝟸 || 𝙰 𝚂𝚒𝚕𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝙱𝚘𝚗𝚍: 𝙻𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝙵𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝, 𝙻𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚃𝚛𝚞𝚜𝚝

I attack, aiming for her head; however, she effortlessly blocks my sword swing with her dagger, sending it clattering to the ground.

She grinned and stepped back. "Not bad for a first attempt," she acknowledged. "Now, let's try that again. Remember, focus on the weak spots I mentioned."

I retrieve my sword from the ground without turning my back to her. This time, she attacks fiercefully aiming for my midsection. I barely dodge it. In a swift follow-up movement she attacks again, this time aiming for my head. I use the hand next to my head to block her hit. With a shout, she uses her leg to kick me, sending me sprawling to the ground.

She brushes her hair out of her face. "See what I did there? You should continuously search for open spots; only then will you be able to stand against any opponent."

I get up and reposition myself into the stance again. My determination motivates her to continue teaching me. 

We spent the whole morning in the clearing, with her patiently guiding me through the basics of combat. With each attempt, I kept on falling and getting up again, yet I could feel myself grow more confident and coordinated. As the sun climbed higher in the sky, we took a break, sitting on the ground beneath the shade of a tree. I was sweaty and exhausted, but there was a newfound determination in my eyes.

"Thank you," I said to her, genuinely grateful for her guidance. "I never thought I'd be learning to defend myself like this."

She nodded, taking a sip from her waterbottle. "You've got potential, and I can't afford to have dead weight by my side. Now that you're learning, you'll have a fighting chance out here."

I looked at her with curiosity. "I still don't know your name," I admitted.

With everything that happened the thought of asking this girl her name had completely slipped my mind. Now that we've been together all morning, I started to realise the little information I have about this girl.

She looked at me for a moment, a glint of vulnerability in her eyes, before finally saying, "Zhena."

"Zhena, nice to meet you. I'm Alexander, but Alex is fine." I reply smiling, comitting her name to my memory.

She smiles to herself, giving me slight nod, "Alright Alex, you ready to continue?" she says, getting up.

I nod, and get up as well.

The day passes as we continue training together. When the late afternoon hits with the sun colouring the skies into beautiful layers of pink-orange, Zhena and I return to our camp spot.

After we both finish washing up, we settle ourself among the little fire that we made, enjoying the dinner that Zhena had prepared. As silence filled the air, the gears in my head activated my thoughts, awakening all the questions I had for Zhena before.

"Hey, if you don't mind me asking, I'm still wondering some things." I began.

Her attention draws to me, her expression curious yet hesistant.

"Ask ahead." She says.

"All these combat skills, how did you learn them? And how did you end up here? Do you have somewhere you wish to go?" I start with the most intruiging questions.

Zhena takes a deep breath before she speaks. "I'll tell you from the beginning," she says. Her voice is soft, her eyes lock onto mine, seeking for connection and understanding.

"It all started a few hours before the tragedy broke out. I lived with my family in a small house, in a forgotten village on the outskirts of the forest, it's name was, Kayra. It was me, my older brother, my younger sister, and my parents. That day, I returned home from school and at that moment I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary yet. But when I entered the house, it was completely empty, even after calling out to them, I got no answer. I searched the house, and went to the kitchen when I saw my parents death on the floor."

She pauses for a moment, letting the painful moments resurface. "I noticed feet appearing from behind the small kitchen island so, I went to take a closer look, and—"

She stops, her hands slightly trembling by the thought of the memory. She takes a deep breath, bracing herself to tell the rest of the story.

"I saw my brother hanging over my little sister's body, blood all around his mouth. The sight was so disturbing, I gasped so loudly, my brother turned his attention to me. His face, was beyond recognition. I could still see it was him, but his eyes were so monsterous, his mind was completely consumed by something dark."

Zhena's voice becomes more assured as she continues. "After noticing me, he went after me. I ran miles through the house, scared for my life, eventually finding a hiding spot in one of the closets upstairs. I could hear banging and scratching on the doors of the closet. I covered my ears as a natural reaction. After hiding for hours, I felt this urging rage flowing through me, compelling me to avenge my sister and my parents. So, I left my hiding spot, I took one of my dad's knifes and stabbed my brother to death. After all the emotions had left me, I realised what I had done. Such an unbelievable guilt took over me, I started to get into a depressive state, just like yours."

She smiles, the warmth returning to her eyes. "Eventually, I forced myself to fight, for my life, for their lives."

My eyes flicker after hearing her tragic story. "I'm so sorry that you went through all that."

She shakes her head, lowering her eyes to the ground. "I don't want sympathy." she whispers. "I want to survive. And I want to accomplish that by going to that safe place."

My eyes widen at her words. 

"Do you mean north? How do you know about that?" I ask her.

"I heard it on the radio at my house." She replies, "Why? Have you heard about it?"

"My friends and I were planning to go there, too." I say.

"Is that so? well, isn't that good?" she answers.

"It is. We just seperated on— bad terms." I say softly.

"Can I ask, what happened?" Zhena asks, calmly.

I nod, and start to tell her about our escape from Preston ville. She listened carefully taking in my words and feelings. It felt good to talk to someone about what had happened, to share the weight of it all with someone else who suffered due to the tragedy. I considered leavimg certain things out of my story but I eventually spilled it all. After all, she was so open with me, it would've been disrespectful if I didn't do the same. 

When I finished speaking, there was a moment of silence between us, filled only by the crackling of the fire and the distant sounds of the forest. Then, Zhena reached out and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

My gaze locks with hers as she nods to me with a soft smile plastered on her lips. It's a gesture that speaks volumes. I saw it in her eyes the moment I met her and I'm seeing it again. The kindred spirit that had faced her own demons and came out stronger than ever. That strength shines like a blue light into her golden eyes.

I lower my gaze, fidgeting with my fingers before telling her, "I apologise for not telling you sooner but— thank you for saving me, Zhena."