12

"Woah, Asphodel," James exclaimed as he pulled her into another hug and patted her back as she cried into his shoulder. "It's not like I haven't given you nice gifts before!"

"I know." Asphodel said in a muffled tone. She lifted her head up from him. "But this one means a lot."

"I'm glad you like it so much." James replied as he wiped the tears from underneath her eye and Asphodel flinched before letting him move to the next eye. "Just don't scare me like that. I thought something was wrong."

Asphodel smiled. "Sorry. I can't help getting emotional. I've cried in front of you many times before, you know."

"Oh I know," James said and took a deep breath and Asphodel laughed at the remark.

"Plus, you can be a bit of a crybaby yourself, James." Asphodel said and mimicked him crying as she made a pouty face.

James rolled his eyes. "Shh, my reputation remains untarnished." He said. Asphodel made a silent gesture letting him know her lips were sealed.

"Hey cuties, I'd hate to interrupt but Professor Dumbledore ordered for everyone to meet in the Dining Hall." James and Asphodel turned around at the sound of Sirius walking towards them. Some of the Hufflepuffs overheard Sirius (because he was such a loud person of course) and headed back inside, grabbing their brooms and picking up the quaffle. "So, Deli, did you make it?"

"Yes." Asphodel said, ignoring the nickname as she knew she would get a new one every day. She held up her new Nimbus 1000. "And I got a gift too."

"Oh wow, so now James is spoiling you too?" He asked rhetorically and Sirius poked James in the arm. "I've seen this scenario before."

"Don't make it weird, Padfoot." James countered. "Girls need a good gift every now and then. You should take notes."

Asphodel cleared her throat before the conversation could go any further. "You said Professor Dumbledore had something important to say? Let's get going then."

Sirius, James, and Asphodel entered the Dining Hall. Asphodel waved goodbye to the two of them, clutching the gift in her hand extra tight as she watched them go to the Gryffindor table. She saw James stop in front of a familiar red head, probably saying some dumb remark or asking her out for the millionth time.

Asphodel felt a tug at her robes and she turned around. "Hello?" Faun waved a hand in front of her face. "You've got those hearts in your eyes again. Come on. You wouldn't want to miss something important."

"Sorry Faun," Asphodel murmured as she followed her back to the Hufflepuff table.

Faun and Asphodel sat down and she grabbed a piece of chicken from the center of the table. "Did you make the team?"

"Yes actually." Asphodel replied and smiled. Faun pulled her into a tight hug as she squealed in excitement.

"I'm so proud of you! I had no doubts at all!" Faun exclaimed as she pulled away from the hug, cupping her hands around Asphodel's face. "You're really coming out of your shell this year. I like this look on you."

"Thanks. I'm trying." Asphodel replied softly. Faun always knew how to cheer her up. That's why she was her best friend. Asphodel knew that she and Faun would have a good connection in their first year, and she was glad they continued their friendship this far. Even though Faun was the complete opposite of Asphodel, it was nice to see she was acknowledging the steps Asphodel took to become braver. However, she was no Gryffindor and becoming a part of the Hufflepuff team for quidditch was enough excitement for her. She was about to say something else when Faun put a pointer finger to her lips and Asphodel looked up at the head table as she was eating.

"As you know, Hogwarts has been established for many years. The students that come and go every year are each unique in their own way—"

"Ugh, if he goes on another lecture to stop trashing the common rooms and pulling pranks on the staff I swear..." Asphodel heard Faun mutter under her breath. "We aren't even the ones doing it! It's all the other houses."

"But this year the students have been exceptional. With the grades, keeping the atmosphere and allure of Hogwarts, the companionship, and more. It has been proven to me that these students have earned a reward which will now become tradition. I was going to add in another thing but I guess no one could handle it like I could, being the daredevil I am, so it will have to wait. Speaking of waiting, we were also going to wait until next winter to be holding this event, but we didn't want this year's seventh years to be missing out, so we will be springing it on in the spring season." Asphodel wasn't sure to laugh at Professor Dumbledore's comment or to ignore it and store it in her brain with the rest of his weird remarks.

"Anyway. Thanks to the staffs efforts and your well behavior, Hogwarts will be holding it's very first Yule Ball."