14

Asphodel felt the heat rush to her cheeks. However, the defensive side of her reacted before her emotions could get the best of her. "What?" She asked, making sure she heard clearly.

"I want you to go to the Yule Ball with me." James repeated. "It would ruin my reputation for people to see me without a date, considering all of my friends have one of their own. It will be our first time ever going to a formal event in all our friendship."

Asphodel knew it. She couldn't expect for James to read her mind. She sighed. "Right. As friends." She muttered under her breath before looking back at him. She felt Faun grab her hand under her desk and squeezed it tight. That's when Asphodel remembered it took time. James didn't know her true feelings, she couldn't count it against him. This was a good opportunity.

"What, don't tell me you're going to say no too." James pouted.

"Of course I'll go with you." Asphodel replied finally and she actually saw James's eyes light up. It made her heart flutter seeing the way they widened behind the glare of his glasses.

Asphodel would have imagined him doing a little victory dance whenever he won, just like he did when they were little. Whether it be beating her at wizard chess, their wand battles using their parents' wands, or beating her in quidditch, she always liked when he would pump his fists in the air and start wiggling around. But, seeing as they were in school and James had somewhat of a "reputation" to uphold, he shoved his hands in his pockets and smiled sheepishly. "Sounds good."

"Yes it does." Asphodel replied and smiled as she watched him walk back to his desk where Sirius glanced back at her and gave her a thumbs up. She shrugged.

She turned around to Faun, reading her face for a reaction. Suddenly, Faun grabbed her by the shoulders and started shaking her back and forth.

"Miss Knight, please let go of Miss May." Professor McGonagall said as she entered the room.

After class, Professor McGonagall wanted to see her. James came up to her and promised it wasn't about one of pranks, just to reassure her. Then, Asphodel didn't know what for. She hoped she wasn't in trouble. Asphodel thought back to the previous days, she had done nothing wrong. Maybe stayed up past curfew?

"You wanted to see me, Professor McGonagall?" Asphodel asked when she finished packing her bag and waited for everyone else to leave.

"Yes, Miss May." Professor McGonagall replied as she swiveled around in her chair, clasping her hands together atop her desk. Asphodel gulped. "I have a task for you. Unfortunately I can't offer anything as reward, but I will make sure your good grades are well seen."

"Thank you," Asphodel said nicely, unsure of what the professor met. She was glad that she wasn't in any trouble though. Her mother would absolutely flip if she landed herself in detention again. The last time she got one was for sneaking into the library to get a book to finish her Defense Against the Dark Arts essay and wound up getting herself stuck with James and his posse. "But, I'm not sure what you're talking about."

"I need you to tutor one of your fellow classmates. I'm sure you know her, Marlene McKinnon?" McGonagall asked and Asphodel furrowed her brows. She had heard the name before but she didn't know where. If she was talking about someone in Transfiguration, then it would have to be a Gryffindor. And then Asphodel realized who she was. She was a good friend of Lily's, but Asphodel mainly knew her for the fling she had with Sirius. Even though he had other girls, Marlene seemed to be the one he liked the most. "If you don't, I'm sure you will get to know her through your tutoring sessions. Her grades and effort are dwindling and she tells me her parents are threatening to send her to Beauxbatons if she doesn't keep it together. I would tutor her myself but I felt that another student would be less intimidating." McGonagall explained as she rearranged papers around her desk. "Are you up for it, Miss May?"

Asphodel was always for helping other students. However, in a one on one scenario, that's when Asphodel's shyness kicked in. Asphodel was going to change that. She was going to overcome every thing one by one. Quidditch team was the first step, Yule Ball was the second, and now tutoring. Her parents would be proud. "Yes Professor," She answered hesitantly. It was a big thing to accept this task, but Asphodel made a promise to herself right then and there that she would be confident in herself and her skills, no matter the setback.