A Gray and Rough Life

Song Defies Color

A/N: Okay, okay, I know that these new ideas are getting way out of hand. But I want to put them out there before I forget about them completely. I'll be focusing more on "Catch a Rising Star", and then when that's done, I'll get to work on this and another "Trolls" story. So don't expect very frequent updates.

So a little background info about this story before we being. This is an alternate universe of "Trolls" having elements of three beloved fairy tales: "Cinderella", "Rapunzel", and "The Little Mermaid." Odd mix, huh? Well, y'all will soon see how it all fits together eventually.

Now, let us begin the story. And action!

Chapter 1

A Gray and Rough Life

A lone male Troll stood on a large platform as bright lights started to flash and music began to play. It was a catchy pop tune as the Troll started to dance smoothly across the stage, his back to the audience on the platform before he began to walk backwards towards the edge. Then, with a quick spin, he faced them, smiling confidently.

The Troll had pointed ears that slightly stuck outward, rather than how other Trolls' ears are more round in shape and closer to the head; pale gray skin, sooty black hair sticking up in the air and it was a bit shorter than the usual height for some other Trolls, and steel blue eyes. 

Despite his mostly monochromatic colors, he was wearing pretty colorful clothing: a vest that had sparkly golden leaves and cream white shorts with purple and orange stripes on the sides, with a purple microphone in his right ear and a rainbow clip-on earring on his left one for some odd reason. Over his eyes were heart-shaped sunglasses with sparkly blue glasses and yellow plastic frames.

Then, he started to sing in an angelic, tenor voice.

Don't be so quick to walk away. (Dance with me.)
I wanna rock your body, please stay. (Dance with me.)
You don't have to admit ya wanna play. (Dance with me.)
Just let me rock you 'til the break of day. (Dance with me.)

The Troll then was surrounded with lots of other Trolls. Unlike him, they had much more vibrant colors of all kinds of shades and hues, but they all were dressed pretty similar to the gray Troll at the front of them. They all then began to dance in a formation as the gray Troll continued to sing, with the others singing harmony.

Got time, but I don't mind.
Just wanna rock you, girl.
I'll have whatever you have.
Come on, let's give it a whirl.

See, I've been watching you,
And I like the way you move,
So go ahead, girl just do
That hair-shakin' thing you do.

Then, the Troll started to sing solo for a little bit before the others joined back in.

So you grab your girls and you grab a couple more,
And you all come meet me in the middle of the floor.
Said the air is thick, it's smelling right.
So you pass to the left, then you sail to the right.

Don't be so quick to walk away. (Dance with me.)
I wanna rock your body, please stay. (Dance with me.)
You don't have to admit ya wanna play. (Dance with me.)
Just let me rock you-

"BRANCH!"

The gray Troll, now known as Branch, snapped his eyes open, not on a stage anymore, but instead in a dark underground area, tucked in his bed. Instead of the bright clothing that he was wearing in that annoying fantasy he had for the past few years, he wore brown shorts with multiple patches everywhere. At the moment, he was currently topless.