one ↪ isla nublar

Two months. Only two months had passed since I had lost both my job and my boyfriend. I was fully aware of how the people around me didn't want to see me grieving, like it was my choice. Like I wouldn't rather get over it once and for all, or would I? Michael and I had been together for nearly five years and lived together. How did they expect me to just wipe all the memories away without feeling miserable? Not possible. All I could do was distracting myself for as long as I could.

    "Can you stop overthinking? You're being loud" my brother Nick sighed.

    "Look, I can't control this and it's driving me insane"

    "I know you're a control freak, just don't let it get into your head"

    "Nick" I glanced over at him. "It's literally where it all is"

    My brother ran his fingers through his dark curly brown hair and bit his lip, a sign that he was up to something, probably one of his dumb ideas. "Okay, listen up"

    "Oh no." I sighed, teasing him.

    "Ha-ha. No, seriously, hear me out. What is something you always wanted to do but can't do?"

    "Are you being serious right now?"

    "Have you not been listening to me? Geez, Elle" Nick huffed. "Just say it. It could be anything"

    "Anything? Jurassic World" I blurted out without missing a beat, knowing well how I couldn't afford to go there even if I worked my whole life. His sight was stuck on me as he didn't even flinch at my answer. It wasn't a mystery how much I loved dinosaurs, he surely knew the answer already, yet the fact that he didn't joke about it was making me nervous.

    "Okay, go pack your bag, we leave in the morning"

    "What?" I burst out laughing but his expression didn't change. He was dead serious. — "You know we can't afford that. Also, you would have to pre-purchase both the monorail ticket and the hotel room because, I mean, a bunch of people goes there every day and it's just-"

    "Geez, stop talking." Nick rolled his eyes dramatically. "I know all of that, and you know why? Because you just won't shut up about it ever. Dad and I have an emergency fund and we used some of it for this little trip"

    "You what? That's- that's for emergencies only. I can't and won't accept"

    "It's already paid, you know?" he scoffed with a small smile. "They're expecting us tomorrow. Let's go sort your stuff out. Oh, and remember it's pretty hot over there"

    "Nick."

    "See you in the morning, weirdo"

.

    Saying that I was freaking out would be an understatement. I was shaking, not to count how scared and excited I was. Mostly excited though. For years I'd been studying those animals, and knowing that there was a park out there with alive and breathing species, and not being able to afford it, it was low-key killing me.

    Dad, Nick, and I hopped on the monorail train and chose the seats in the middle. I jumped on the one next to the window and frantically looked outside, trying to spot some dinosaur, uselessly.

    "Has she always been so excited? Not that I'm complaining but, that kid right there looks totally unimpressed and is definitely not as excited" my dad asked Nick.

    "That kid probably has rich parents and has been here more than he can count" I blurted out without dismissing my sight from the train window.

    "Fair enough" dad agreed. "I'm happy you're happy, baby"

    "You do know that when this thing stops she will start running around like a child, right?" Nick mocked me. "Dad, we've lost her"

    "No, son, we've just now found her"

.

    The monorail train stopped in front of a high wooden gate, which opened slowly, the words Jurassic World on it. I squealed way too loudly, receiving weird looks from both Nick and my dad. "Sorry?"

    Once we got off the vehicle, my brother stopped me by the arm and creepily smiled down at me. "What"

    "I forgot to tell you something" he shrugged. "I know Claire. You know, the redhead girl who basically runs this place? That Claire."

    "Should we ask you how you know her?" my dad asked.

    Nick looked away. "She wants to meet Elle. So, you're welcome."

    "She what? Why?"