Church Bells A'Ringing

A dozen weapons were laid out on the bonnet of the RV. Carl had apparently found them yesterday, according to Lori. They were all melee. Sharp machetes and knives and hatchets. I already had all three (The hatchet was in my bag, whilst the machete and hunting knife were kept on my person), though I'd likely use my bow in an emergency anyway.

"Everybody takes a weapon." Andrea examined the collection and scoffed.

"These aren't the kind of weapons we need. What about the guns?"

"You learn how to put a gun together and suddenly you need one?" I questioned, raising my eyebrow. She glared at me, her eyes flitted down to stare at my gun, which was kept nice and tight in its holster. Her need for a gun confused me. She'd barely learned to put hers together, and suddenly it was the only thing capable of protecting her. "I know what I'm doing with mine, do you?"

"We've been over this Andrea. Daryl, Rick, Liz and I are carrying. We can't have people popping off rounds every time a tree rustles." Shane explained, handing out the melee weapons.

"It's not the trees I'm worried about."

"If you have a gun, I think we should be worried about 'em." I muttered under my breath. Only Carol heard me, and she placed her hand over her mouth to avoid laughing aloud and bringing Andrea's wrath down on her.

"Say somebody fires at the wrong moment, a herd happens to be passing by. See, then it's game over for all of us," Shane countered her aggressively. "so you need to get over it." Andrea huffed and snatched a knife from the line.

"The idea is to take the creek up about five miles, turn around and come back down the other side," Daryl laid out the plans for everyone, making sure we all heard. "chances are they'll be by the creek. It's their only landmark."

"Everybody assemble your packs." I jogged to the RV to check on Sophia and Josie, who were both staying here with Dale and T-Dog. We'd already lost two kids; Carol and I agreed that it was best if they stayed safe here.

Josie looked up at me as I sat down and grinned. "Hi. Are you leaving yet?"

"In a minute. Just wanted to make sure you're okay." She handed Sophia something red -a crayon- and hugged me tightly. "Woah. Uh, ow, Josie."

"Come back quickly. I don't like being alone." My heart went out for her. She was ten years old, and already she'd lost almost everyone she knew.

"You're not alone, you have Sophia."

"S'not the same." Whilst we held each other, I heard raised voice from the door of the RV. Curiosity got the better of me, and I stepped outside after saying goodbye to the kids.

Andrea's voice hit me like a slap to the face. I saw Shane waiting for her by the railings, looking vaguely annoyed by what was happening in front of him.

"...NO, Dale, you're doing it for YOU. You need to stop." Andrea was stood outside, hands on hips. She had cornered Dale. "What do you think's gonna happen? I'm gonna stick it in my mouth and pull the trigger the moment you hand it to me?" Ah. This was about that god damn gun. Despite being told she couldn't carry one, she was still so goddamn adamant.

"I know you're angry at me. That much is clear. But if I hadn't done what I did, you'd be dead now."

"Jenner gave us an option. I chose to stay-"

"You chose suicide-"

"So what's that to you? You barely know me-"

"I know Amy's death devastated you-" It was the final straw for Andrea. She went red and snapped at him faster than a crocodile could get out of water.